Verify partial differentiation.

In summary, when calculating partial derivatives in polar coordinates, the variables r and θ are not independent of each other like in rectangular coordinates. This means that fixing one variable will affect the value of the other. In particular, when fixing θ, x and y become dependent on each other, which can lead to confusion when trying to calculate partial derivatives. It is important to remember that polar coordinates are a different system from rectangular coordinates, and the equations and examples used in one may not always directly translate to the other.
yungman
I just want to verify

For Polar coordinates, ##r^2=x^2+y^2## and ##x=r\cos \theta##, ##y=r\sin\theta##

##x(r,\theta)## and## y(r,\theta)## are not independent to each other like in rectangular.

In rectangular coordinates, ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=\frac{dy}{dx}=0##

But in Polar coordinates,
[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\cos\theta,\;\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}=-\frac{\sin\theta}{r}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial y(r,\theta)}{\partial x(r,\theta)}=\frac{\partial y(r,\theta)}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x(r,\theta)}+\frac{\partial y(r,\theta)}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x(r,\theta)}=

(\cos\theta) \frac{\partial y(r,\theta)}{\partial r}-\left(\frac{\sin\theta}{r}\right)\frac{\partial y(r,\theta)}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you calculate the partial derivatives at the end of your last equation, you'll see that the result is zero.

So ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=0## for Polar coordinates.

Then I am even more confused!

[tex]r^2=x^2+y^2\Rightarrow\; r\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=x+y\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{x}{r}+\frac{y}{r}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/tex]

If ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=0##, then ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{x}{r}##

Let's just use an example where ##\theta =60^o##, so to every unit change of ##x##, ##r## will change for 2 unit. So ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=2##

The same reasoning, ##r=2x##. So using this example, ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{x}{r}=0.5## which does not agree with the example I gave.

Please help, I've been stuck for over a day.

Thanks

Let's just use an example where ##\theta =60^o##
If you fix θ, x and y get dependent, but then you are no longer in the general polar coordinates.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
If you fix θ, x and y get dependent, but then you are no longer in the general polar coordinates.

Thanks for your patience, I really don't get this. Even if I don't fix the ##\theta##,
[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\cos\theta\;\hbox { as }\;\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=0 [/tex]

You can now put in ##90^o\;>\;\theta\;>45^o##, you'll get ##r>x## and ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}>1##

Here I am not fixing ##\theta##, I just use ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=0## only.

I think I am serious missing something.

Last edited:
Now I am officially lost! I since posted this question in two different math forums, people there both asked and clarified, then it's been 12 hours with no response just like here!

I have one book and at least one article derived the equations like in my first post, but obviously the example I gave does not agree with the first post and I triple checked my example. I don't think I did anything wrong...apparently I have not get any suggestion otherwise from three forums! I am pretty sure I am missing something as the book I used is a textbook used in San Jose State and I studied through 7 chapters and yet to find a single mistake until the question here.

Anyone has anything to say?

From my example,
[tex]\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}}=\frac{r}{x}=\frac{1}{\cos\theta}[/tex]
And this answer makes a lot more sense.

Thanks

Related to Verify partial differentiation.

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is used in multivariable calculus to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables is varied.

2. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions. This is useful in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, where variables often depend on multiple factors.

3. How is partial differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable. Partial differentiation extends this concept to functions with multiple variables, allowing us to analyze the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all others constant.

4. What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The notation used for partial differentiation is similar to regular differentiation, but with a slight difference. Instead of using the symbol "d" to represent differentiation, we use the symbol "∂". For example, the partial derivative of a function f with respect to variable x would be written as ∂f/∂x.

5. What are some applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many applications, including optimization problems, finding maximum and minimum values, and solving partial differential equations. It is also used in fields such as economics to analyze how changes in one variable affect other variables, and in physics to study the relationships between different physical quantities.