Verify Algebraic Statement for Philosophy of Time Essay

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an algebraic statement in an essay about revising the conventional A-series of time. The author is seeking confirmation that the statement is true before showing it to their supervisor. A counterexample is provided and a potential solution is suggested. The conversation ends with gratitude from the author for the help.
musickps
I am not sure if this is the right thread, since I am new. Bump it if necessary.

I am currently writing an essay on revising the conventional A-series of time to account for relativity and simultaneity, among other problems. In the course of my argument, I have used an algebraic statement. I know that the organization is not up to convention, but this is a rough draft. I am just trying to verify that this is a true statement. I seem to remember some transitive property from my high school days that suggests that it is, but I want to make sure before my supervisor sees it! Thanks for the help!

Assuming
(1) all given variables represent non-zero integers and
(2) no integer in the addition operation appears more than once

-Let s represent the sum of following integers: m, n, x, p

If (s)(z) = y

then the following expressions must all be true:

(m)(z) ≠ y,
(n)(z) ≠y
(x)(z) ≠y.
(p)(z) ≠ y.

Mods: I was not sure where to post this since it is algebraic in nature but I am using it in a theoretical manuscript. Feel free to bump it wherever it belongs. Thanks for the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Counterexample: $m=1, n=3, x=-2, p=-1$. Then $s=m+n+x+p=1$. We assume $sz=y$. But it is also true that $mz=y$. If you strengthen the first assumption to $m,n,x,p$ must all be strictly positive integers, then I think you could conclude what you want.

Thank you so much! Thanks to you, I have that essay under my belt; that was the last thing left to verify.

You have made Philosopher of Time very happy indeed. :D

Related to Verify Algebraic Statement for Philosophy of Time Essay

1. What is an algebraic statement?

An algebraic statement is a mathematical expression that contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It can also include symbols such as equal signs (=) and inequality signs (< or >) to represent the relationship between different parts of the expression.

2. How can algebraic statements be used in philosophy of time?

Algebraic statements can be used in philosophy of time to represent and analyze different theories and concepts related to time. For example, they can be used to express the relationship between past, present, and future, or to represent the concept of time dilation in theories of relativity.

3. How can one verify an algebraic statement?

To verify an algebraic statement, one must substitute the given values for the variables in the expression and perform the necessary mathematical operations. The resulting value should match the given output of the expression. If the two values are equal, then the statement is verified to be true.

4. Why is it important to verify algebraic statements?

Verifying algebraic statements is important because it allows us to check the accuracy and validity of mathematical expressions and theories. It also helps us to identify any errors or inconsistencies in the reasoning or calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when verifying algebraic statements?

Some common mistakes to avoid when verifying algebraic statements include incorrect substitution of values, forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, and making arithmetic errors. It is also important to double-check the given output and the resulting value to ensure they are both in the same units and are comparable.