Verification of the existence of a scientific article

In summary: The article is about how they induced a high spin state in a nucleus using a magnetic field and how they detected the resonance that came out of the nucleus.In summary, researchers working with large magnetic fields discovered in the 1960's that metals when induced into a high spin state (using fields of approximately 540,000 gauss) were capable of passing energy from one high spin atom to the next with no net loss of energy. This was the discovery of superconductivity.
CarboMirakli
I have spent a lot of time trying to verify the existence of an alleged scientific article but have not been able to.

The only info I have about the article is the following text:

Researchers working with large magnetic fields discovered in the 1960's that metals when induced into a high spin state (using fields of approximately 540,000 gauss) were capable of passing energy from one high spin atom to the next with no net loss of energy.

Maybe someone here is aware of this article and can provide the source.

Physics news on Phys.org
If that is all the info you have then why do you care to find it? There must surely be some relevant background information you have not mentioned.

kurros said:
If that is all the info you have then why do you care to find it? There must surely be some relevant background information you have not mentioned.

Call me paranoid, but based in the recent questions in this forum, I think that there is some scam going on, offering some incredible business oportunity based on pseudoscience. What i do not get is why is everyone asking in this forum, except if some keyword search is pointing here.

I care to find this article, just based on that text, because of what it implies to me.

Call me paranoid, but based in the recent questions in this forum, I think that there is some scam going on, offering some incredible business opportunity based on pseudoscience. What i do not get is why is everyone asking in this forum, except if some keyword search is pointing here.

The implied information is important to me and it has nothing to do with business opportunities based on pseudoscience.

P.S. I would love to thank a PF Mentor...

To the OP.
Where did you get that paragraph? Knowing the origin might help

What do you actually want?

For what it's worth those words can be found here..

http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/hudson.htm

Researchers working with large magnetic fields discovered in the 1960's that metals when induced into a high spin state (using energies of approximately 540,000 gauss) were capable of passing energy from one high spin atom to the next with no net loss of energy! This was the discovery of superconductivity.

but do you want "the" 1960's paper?

Yes, the paper. That is not were i found it, but yes, the 1960's paper.

The website looks a bit confusing. However, some things I found (no paper from 1960):

Spin density wave at Wikipedia:
The existence of the SDW [spin-density wave] in Cr was first posited in 1960 by Albert Overhauser of Purdue. Cliff Shull of MIT won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1994 for his experimental observation of the Cr SDW. The theory of CDWs [charge-density wave] was first put forth by Rudolf Peierls of Oxford University, who was trying to explain superconductivity.
Related: Overhauser effect: "The Nuclear Overhauser Effect (NOE) is the transfer of nuclear spin polarization from one nuclear spin population to another via cross-relaxation."

Passing spins around without loss of energy sounds like Spin superconductors.

Concerning the next statement on the website CWatters linked:
website said:
Superconductivity allows the conduction of energy through a resonance phenomenon. Unlike electrical conduction, energy can be passed from one superconductor to another with contact, without resistance and, therefore, with no net loss of energy.
This looks like superconducting tunnel junction, but is different from superconducting materials in general.

website said:
To create superconductivity in a potential superconductor, an external magnetic field must be applied to get the system going. Once the flow of energy is set in motion, however, it is only necessary to keep the conditions correct so that the material remains superconductive.
This is wrong.
This was the discovery of superconductivity.
And this part of the initial quote is wrong, too. Superconductivity was discovered in 1911 with mercury, and without any magnetic fields.

mfb, thank you for your analyses.

The Nuclear Overhauser Effect, is very close to the effect mentioned in the text, but it appears to lack the detail of a high-spin state induced by a magnetic field.

I found another link, related to the CWatters link, that appears to be closer to the article that i am looking for. This link,http://www.rexresearch.com/ormes/hudsnlec.htm, states:

This is a 1960's book that my Ph.D. studied at Iowa State University and it's actually an article about nuclear quadrupole moment and nuclear quadrupole moment spectroscopy. They actually find that by applying these 800,000 gauss magnetic fields that they could cause the nucleus to spin flip to the high-spin state. And then when they release these fields they read the resonance that comes out of the nucleus as the nucleus drops back down to the low spin state.

Related to Verification of the existence of a scientific article

1. How is the existence of a scientific article verified?

The existence of a scientific article is usually verified through peer review. This process involves independent experts in the same field as the article's topic critically evaluating the research and findings before it is published. This helps to ensure the validity and accuracy of the article.

2. What is the role of journals in verifying the existence of a scientific article?

Journals play a crucial role in the verification process of scientific articles. They act as the gatekeepers for publication and are responsible for selecting and reviewing articles for their quality and significance. Journals also have strict guidelines and standards that articles must meet before being published, further ensuring their validity.

3. Can the existence of a scientific article be verified by the general public?

In most cases, the general public does not have access to the full process of verifying the existence of a scientific article. However, once an article is published, it is available for the public to read and evaluate. Additionally, some journals offer open access options, allowing anyone to read and review the articles they publish.

4. Is the existence of a scientific article always guaranteed?

No, the existence of a scientific article is not always guaranteed. While peer review and journal standards help to ensure the accuracy and validity of articles, mistakes and errors can still occur. It is important for readers to critically evaluate the information presented in any scientific article and consider the credibility of the source.

5. Can the existence of a scientific article be challenged or disproved?

Yes, the existence of a scientific article can be challenged or disproved through further research and evidence. The scientific community encourages open discussion and scrutiny of research to continually improve and advance our understanding of the world. If new evidence is presented that contradicts a previously published article, it can be re-evaluated and potentially disproved.