Verification of electric potential

In summary, the direction of an electric field is arbitrary and was defined to point away from positive charges, as reflected in the equation for the potential. It is not a matter of opinion and can be verified by applying the basic definition in every case.
ehabmozart
Electric Potential at a point is defined as the "work done by the electric field on a charged particle as that particle moves in from infinity to point f"... My question now, is where does this electric field point. Consider a positive charge and we want to get the sign of V nearby. I know before evaluating that it should be positive. This can be verified by the equation of V=kq/r and since q is positive, V is positive. But how can I verify this using the definition. Where is the electric field and what is the unit charge??

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of the direction of an electric field is arbitrary - it was defined to point away from positive charges, and this is reflected in the formula for the potential.

Can you ask your question in just one thread, please? This gets messy, with very similar question spread over several threads.

mfb said:
The definition of the direction of an electric field is arbitrary - it was defined to point away from positive charges, and this is reflected in the formula for the potential.

Can you ask your question in just one thread, please? This gets messy, with very similar question spread over several threads.

I agree. Asking the same question on different threads won't help you get the answer I think you want any more than using just one thread. As I have said elsewhere, go back to be basics and don't try to argue with the definition. There is quite enough information in the threads you have already started. It's up to you to seive it out. Just believe it's not a matter of 'opinion'. It just involves applying the basic definition in every case and you can't go wrong.

Related to Verification of electric potential

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit of charge at a point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage or electric potential difference.

2. How is electric potential verified?

Electric potential can be verified by measuring the voltage between two points in an electric field using a voltmeter. This measurement can then be compared to the calculated electric potential at those points.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volt (V) in the SI system. It can also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. What factors affect electric potential?

The factors that affect electric potential include the distance between the two points, the amount of charge at those points, and the type of material in the electric field. The direction of the electric field also plays a role in determining the electric potential.

5. Why is it important to verify electric potential?

Verification of electric potential is important in understanding and analyzing electric fields. It allows scientists to confirm theoretical calculations and ensure the accuracy of experimental data. It also helps in the design and operation of electrical circuits and devices.