Venus - Transit of VenusWhat did I capture during the recent transit of Venus?

In summary, the speaker missed the transit of Venus on June 5/6 due to cloud cover, but managed to capture some pictures of it through a solar filter later on. The pictures showed a small notch on the edge of the Sun, which was presumably Venus. The speaker also compares these pictures to ones taken during the previous transit in 2004. They end the conversation by joking that missing the transit twice may be considered "carelessness" by some.
CaptainBlack
As you may know there was a transit of Venus on the 5/6th of June. The Sun rose here at ~04:40 BST with the transit in progress, however at that time there was cloud on the Eastern horizon to an elevation of 10-20 degrees, so no chance of seeing the transit. Just before leaving for work at about 05:45 BST the cloud started to clear and I grabed the full apperture solar filter off of the 70mm refractor and my camera and rushed over the road to where the Sun was visible and snapped some pictures through the filter, as far as I could see there was nothing to be seen of Venus, but on "enhancing" the pixs (mainly gamma adjustment) I found:

View attachment 175View attachment 176

Venus (I presume) is the tiny notch on the edge of the Sun in the top right of the images.

The Sun was gone within minutes of snapping the pixs.

For comparison here is the best pix from the previous transit in 2004, taken with a more primitive camera but through the 70mm refractor (stopped down to ~25mm apperture and with clear skies, and less processing):

View attachment 178

CB

Attachments

• Transit 2012 2.png
    Transit 2012 2.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Transit 2012 1.png
    Transit 2012 1.png
    8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCI0019 resized.JPG
    DSCI0019 resized.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry guys. If you missed it, just wait another 100 years.

Jayden said:
Don't worry guys. If you missed it, just wait another 100 years.

Missing it both times (2004 and 2012) begins to look like carelessness (Sun)...(Sun) (Nerd)

CB

What is the Transit of Venus?

The Transit of Venus is a rare astronomical event in which the planet Venus passes directly between the Earth and the Sun. This phenomenon only occurs in pairs, with eight years separating each pair, and then not again for over 100 years.

When will the next Transit of Venus occur?

The next Transit of Venus will occur on December 10-11, 2117. Prior to this, the last Transit of Venus was on June 5-6, 2012.

Why is the Transit of Venus important?

The Transit of Venus is important because it provides scientists with a unique opportunity to study the planet Venus and its atmosphere. By observing the way the planet's atmosphere absorbs and reflects sunlight, scientists can gather valuable information about its composition and properties.

How can I observe the Transit of Venus?

Since looking directly at the Sun can be harmful to the eyes, it is recommended to observe the Transit of Venus through a telescope equipped with a solar filter. Alternatively, many observatories and science centers host special events for the public to safely observe the Transit of Venus.

What have we learned from previous Transits of Venus?

Previous Transits of Venus have provided valuable information about the size and distance of the solar system. In 1761 and 1769, scientists used the Transit of Venus to measure the distance between the Earth and the Sun, known as the astronomical unit (AU). These measurements helped to refine our understanding of the solar system and paved the way for future space exploration.