An interesting bit about reading

In summary, research at an English university has shown that the order of letters in a word doesn't matter as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place. This is due to our ability to read words as a whole rather than individual letters. Some believe this is a result of the theory of redundancy. However, further research suggests that splitting or joining certain letter combinations can make words more difficult to read. This phenomenon is being studied at a linguistics department and has produced controversial findings.
quartodeciman
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by istlef but ecah wrod as a wlohe.

Physics news on Phys.org
I dno't bielelve it. Taht sudnos lkie nsesone to me.:smile:

Aulactly, he smees to be rghit.

Snouds lkie the old infroamtoin tehory "reunddnacy" ieda cmonig bcak...

wow. that was amazing. truly. i read all of that without even thinking twice. who spends money on that kind of research?

Hmm...that does seem to be somewhat true.

Is this an English only phenomena? Does it extend to other languages?

Ptaetrn rncgetoioin.

(Actually that last word looks a little tricky don't it?)

A former work chum forwarded that to me; so I don't know the actual research described.

It doesn't seem like redundancy; in fact tweaking redundancy could make it much harder.

I think splitting or enjoining medial diphthongs (double unrepeated vowels), which disturbs the presumed syllable count, makes some words harder.

Who funds research like this? Ha! Grant-providers and grant-seekers: that's a whole branch of cultural anthropology of its own! :smile:

Originally posted by hypnagogue
Ptaetrn rncgetoioin.

(Actually that last word looks a little tricky don't it?)

Well, i found it a little tricky, but I think that it's because "rn" looks like "m".

Iltnsegnetiry I'm sdutynig tihs crsrootaivnel pnoheenmon at the Dptmnearet of Liuniigctss at Absytrytewh Uivsreitny and my exartrnairdoy doisiervecs waleoetderhlhy cndairotct the picsbeliud fdnngiis rrgdinaeg the rtlvaeie dfuictlify of ialtnstny ttalrisanng steennces. My rsceeerhars deplveeod a cnionevent ctnoiaptorn at hnasoa/tw.nartswdbvweos/utrtep:k./il taht dosnatterems that the hhpsteyios uuiqelny wrtaarns criieltidby if the aoussmpitn that the prreoecandpne of your wrods is not eendetxd is uueniqtolnabse. Aoilegpos for aidnoptg a cdocianorttry vwpiienot but, ttoheliacrley spkeaing, lgitehnneng the words can mnartafucue an iocnuurgons samenttet that is vlrtiauly isbpilechmoenrne.

Or, if you prefer...

Interestingly I'm studying this controversial phenomenon at the Department of Linguistics at Aberystwyth University and my extraordinary discoveries wholeheartedly contradict the publicised findings regarding the relative difficulty of instantly translating sentences. My researchers developed a convenient contraption at http://www.aardvarkbusiness.net/tool that demonstrates that the hypothesis uniquely warrants credibility if the assumption that the preponderance of your words is not extended is unquestionable. Apologies for adopting a contradictory viewpoint but, theoretically speaking, lengthening the words can manufacture an incongruous statement that is virtually incomprehensible. :)

Thanks for the sesquipedalian defeater!

1. What are the benefits of reading?

Reading has numerous benefits, including improving cognitive function, reducing stress, and expanding knowledge and vocabulary. It can also enhance empathy and emotional intelligence, as well as provide a form of escapism and entertainment.

2. How does reading impact brain development?

Reading stimulates the brain and promotes the growth of new connections between brain cells. It has been shown to improve memory, concentration, and critical thinking skills. Additionally, reading at a young age has been linked to higher academic achievement and improved communication skills.

3. Is it better to read physical books or digital books?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on personal preference. However, studies have shown that reading physical books may be better for retention and comprehension, while digital books offer convenience and accessibility.

4. Can reading improve mental health?

Yes, reading has been shown to have a positive impact on mental health. It can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, as well as improve overall well-being. Reading can also serve as a form of therapy, providing a sense of comfort and distraction.

5. How can I develop a habit of reading regularly?

To develop a habit of reading regularly, it is important to set aside dedicated time for reading each day, even if it is just a few minutes. Find books that interest you and make reading a part of your daily routine. You can also join a book club or find a reading buddy to keep yourself accountable and motivated.