Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Venn diagram below shows information about 120 students in a school

karush

Jan 31, 2012
View attachment 1179

(a)
since $n(U)=120$ and the intersections showing $8,7$ and $4$ added is $19$ then $\displaystyle\frac{19}{120}$ is the probability of studying exactly $2$ languages

(b) since $n(J)=35$ then subtracting $8,5,7$ would be $15$ so $\displaystyle\frac{15}{120}=\frac{1}{8}$ would be probability of studying only Japanese

(c) $\displaystyle\frac{n(C)\ \cup\ n(J)\cup \ n(S)}{n(U)}=
\frac{19}{30}$

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
(a) and (b) are correct. As for (c), you need to subtract your answer from 1 because the question asks for the probability that the student does not study any of these languages. The expression $n(C)\cup n(J)$ is a type error because $n(C)$ and $n(J)$ are numbers, while $\cup$ acts on sets. I agree that $n(C\cup J\cup S)=19\cdot4=76$, but it is strange that you did not explain this more difficult part while you explained the easier ones.

karush

Jan 31, 2012
(a) and (b) are correct. As for (c), you need to subtract your answer from 1 because the question asks for the probability that the student does not study any of these languages. The expression $n(C)\cup n(J)$ is a type error because $n(C)$ and $n(J)$ are numbers, while $\cup$ acts on sets. I agree that $n(C\cup J\cup S)=19\cdot4=76$, but it is strange that you did not explain this more difficult part while you explained the easier ones.
I probably misunderstood the notation. so $\frac{19}{30}$ is the probability that a student will study a language. and $\frac{11}{30}$ is the probability that a student does not study a language.

so saying $14\cup 16$ is improper it has to a $A\cup B$ etc

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I probably misunderstood the notation. so $\frac{19}{30}$ is the probability that a student will study a language. and $\frac{11}{30}$ is the probability that a student does not study a language.
Yes.

so saying $14\cup 16$ is improper it has to a $A\cup B$ etc
Yes.