Velocity Vs. Time Graph Extension Help

In summary, a group of students are working on a velocity/acceleration lab and their extension is to figure out why the V v T graph of a "shake'n'go" car jumps to 0 at the end of the curve. They are looking for information or explanations on this phenomenon and believe it may be caused by friction. However, upon observation, the car appeared to be accelerating and decelerating at a constant rate rather than stopping abruptly.
ChEmWen
1. The problem statement
Capture.PNG

So I am currently working on an velocity/acceleration lab. My physics teacher requires each lab group to find an extension that goes above and beyond the question that we are supposed to answer with the lab. Each group also needs evidence to prove the extension.

That being said, the above picture is a graph of a "shake'n'go" car (a toy car that when you shake it, it moves) created using a motion detector through. As you can see the car accelerates, then decelerates. The graph looks nice, however at the end of the curve, right when the car comes to a stop, the V v T graph shoots right up to 0 (as circled in the picture).

Our lab groups extension is to figure out what that means, but we can not seem to find any sort of explanation to this.

If anyone could provide information on why this is happening (attached documents or links would work or just a simple explanation), it would be hugely appreciated. THANK you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
As for what it means - read the graph and describe, using words, the motion of the car that the graph is telling you. (note - the circles curve can be approximated by three lines...)

What sort of thing causes that sort of motion?
I have a pretty good idea but I can;t actually tell you right out.

Well the motion described is that the car is accelerating to the left then decelerating to the left. What our group was assuming was that friction is what caused the jump in the graph. However, when we watched the car, it never appeared as if it stopped abruptly, it appeared as it was accelerating and decelerating at a constant rate.

Related to Velocity Vs. Time Graph Extension Help

1. What is a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph is a visual representation of an object's speed (velocity) over a period of time. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration.

2. How do I interpret a velocity vs. time graph?

To interpret a velocity vs. time graph, look at the slope of the line. A positive slope indicates positive acceleration (speeding up), a negative slope indicates negative acceleration (slowing down), and a horizontal line indicates constant velocity. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration or deceleration.

3. What does the area under the line on a velocity vs. time graph represent?

The area under the line on a velocity vs. time graph represents the displacement (distance traveled) of the object. The greater the area, the greater the displacement.

4. How can I use a velocity vs. time graph to calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity using a velocity vs. time graph, divide the total displacement by the total time. This will give you the average velocity over the entire interval.

5. What are some real-life applications of velocity vs. time graphs?

Velocity vs. time graphs are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects. They are also used in sports to track the speed and acceleration of athletes, and in traffic analysis to monitor the flow of vehicles on roads. Additionally, they can be used in the study of weather patterns and the movement of celestial bodies.