Velocity Verlet C++ implementation

In summary: Mikkelsen wrote:In summary, the integrator is not working correctly and the planets are moving away from the sun.
madsmh
I have been working on implementing a solar system system simulator in C++ - but am getting incorrect results on the order of 10^10 km, and it seems that the planets are moving directly away from the sun. I suspect that there is a mistake in the integrator (Velocity Verlet) that I have posted below. It would be appreciated if I could get someone to check that, assuming that the rest of the program is correct, the integrator is working. The code should be self-explanatory.

Thanks!

Code:
void verlet(System& system, Trajectory& trajectory, double delta){

long n = trajectory.get_number_of_rows();
    long n_bodies = system.get_number_of_bodies();

double delta2 = pow(delta, 2);

std::cout << "Starting integrator." << std::endl;

for (int i = 0; i < n; ++i) {
        if(i == 0){
            std::vector<Vector3 > x0 = system.get_positions();
            std::vector<Vector3> v0 = system.get_velocities();

trajectory.set_position(x0, v0);
            system.set_positions(x0);
            system.set_velocities(v0);
        }
        else {

std::vector<Vector3> x0 = trajectory.get_positions_at_index(i-1);
            std::vector<Vector3> v0 = trajectory.get_velocities_at_index(i-1);

std::vector<Vector3> a0 = system.get_accelerations();

std::vector<Vector3> x1 {};

for (long j = 0; j < n_bodies; ++j) {
                x1.emplace_back(x0[j] + v0[j] * delta + delta2 * 0.5 * a0[j]);
            }

system.set_positions(x1);

std::vector<Vector3 > a1 = system.get_accelerations();

std::vector<Vector3 > v1;

for (long k = 0; k < n_bodies; ++k) {
                v1.emplace_back(v0[k] + 0.5 *( a0[k] + a1[k]) * delta );
            }

system.set_velocities(v1);

trajectory.set_position(x1, v1);
        }
    }
    std::cout << "Integration finished." << std::endl;
}

Technology news on Phys.org
Since your results are so far off, I suggest you use a debugger and put breakpoints in, and compare the computed results with results done on paper to see where the calculations are going wrong. I would put the first breakpoint on the last statement of the first if block in the outer for loop. If the calculations are OK when i == 0, I would put another breakpoint just after the calculation for a0 in the else block. Again, compare the results of your program with results obtained with paper and pencil. Possibly you'll find the error within just a couple of iterations.

Since you are new to C++ (which you said in another thread), do yourself a favor and learn at least the rudimentary use of a debugger.

Likes jim mcnamara
Thank you, Mark44, for your reply. It was helpful in finding the bug.

.. Mads

Related to Velocity Verlet C++ implementation

1. What is the Velocity Verlet algorithm and why is it used in C++ implementations?

The Velocity Verlet algorithm is a numerical integration method used to simulate the motion of particles in a physical system. It is commonly used in C++ implementations because it is a simple and efficient way to accurately model the behavior of complex systems.

2. How does the Velocity Verlet algorithm work?

The Velocity Verlet algorithm works by calculating the position and velocity of particles in a system at specific time intervals. It uses the previous position and velocity values, along with the current acceleration, to predict the position and velocity at the next time step. This process is repeated to simulate the motion of the particles over time.

3. What are the advantages of using the Velocity Verlet algorithm in C++ implementations?

One of the main advantages of using the Velocity Verlet algorithm in C++ implementations is its accuracy. It can accurately model the behavior of physical systems, even those with complex interactions between particles. Additionally, it is relatively simple to implement and is computationally efficient.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Velocity Verlet algorithm in C++ implementations?

Like any numerical integration method, the Velocity Verlet algorithm has its limitations. It is most effective for systems with conservative forces, and may not accurately model systems with non-conservative forces. It also requires a small time step to ensure accuracy, which can increase computational time for larger systems.

5. Where can I find resources for implementing the Velocity Verlet algorithm in C++?

There are many online resources available for implementing the Velocity Verlet algorithm in C++. Some popular options include online tutorials, programming forums, and open-source code repositories. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or programmers who have experience with the algorithm.