Hydrogen and Oxygen from Electricity and Water

In summary, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has developed an impressive fuel cell called the Unitized Regenerative Fuel Cell that can produce electricity from oxygen and hydrogen, and also reverse the process to produce hydrogen and oxygen from electricity and water. They have also created the most powerful solid state laser, capable of producing a 1-centimeter hole in a 2-centimeter-thick slice of steel with a 6-second shot of laser light. This technology has potential uses in various industries, but it may face opposition from large energy companies who prefer traditional fuel cell technologies. Overall, this fuel cell and laser combination offers weight reduction and engineering systems-integration in specialized applications.
Silvershadow
I came across an amazing fuel cell created by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. It's actually called a http://www.llnl.gov/IPandC/technology/profile/transportation/UnitizedRegenerativeFuelCell/index.php [Broken] which has a duel mode. Not only can it produce electricity from oxygen and hydrogen (two very abundant and easily available molecules) which is amazing in itself, but it is also reversible so can produce hydrogen and oxygen from electricity and water. Cool huh.
They've also developed the MOST POWERFUL SOLID STATE LAZER which is the stuff of bond movies. They've already developed a proto that after a 6-second shot of laser light produced a 1-centimeter hole in a 2-centimeter-thick slice of steel. If I were a bond villain this company would definitely be on my books!

Silvershadow

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This belongs in a Bond film. Or maybe Austin Powers, because it's a bunch of goofy crap. You can't get more electricity out of burning hydrogen and oxygen than it takes to make it from water.

But you probably already knew that.

I don't think he's suggesting it's a perpetual motion machine, only that it's (nearly) reversible.

- Warren

The concept is real. The science is real. The cell must be rejuvenated on occasion ( by recharging water /electricity) as no system can be 100% efficient or fight the 2nd law.

I have trod this path on 3 different forums and have gotten the "woo-woo" response at the start of thread and pregnant silence at the end. Do the research first , then scoff.

The leading opponents are the large energy ( oil/electric ) company's to whom a regenerative fuel cell represents a departure from the daily dependence on their product. The are trying ( with concerted effort , such as the availability of research dollars to "directed projects)to preempt efforts of a self renewing resource by trying to direct the field to adopt fuel cell technologies that rely on using hydrogen as a "fuel" rather then a occasional replenished catalyst.

Research befor you opine..

So what does this do that's different from a normal fuel cell?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
So what does this do that's different from a normal fuel cell?

- Warren

Doesn't really say much on the given link, but it looks like they've licked two different transport problems with a single electrode-electrolyte configuration --- not trivial.

Yeah, it's a PEM that can be run in reverse. Essentially, it's a "water battery." Pretty nifty, particularly if what they claim about the energy-to-weight ratio is true.

I don't think anyone is woo-wooing your link, TillEulenspiegel. I think Chemicalsuperfreak mistakenly thought you were suggesting it was a "perpetual energy source," though I can't speak for him.

- Warren

Having read the postings and given link, this device does exactly what it says. It combines two related technologies into one package, reducing the overall weight of a system that would otherwise require both and, collectively, heavier separate units.
No perpetual anything. Just an engineering systems-intergration affording weight reduction; useful in special applications noted in the article.

1. What is the process for creating hydrogen and oxygen from electricity and water?

The process is called electrolysis, where an electric current is passed through water, splitting it into its component parts of hydrogen and oxygen gases.

2. What is the purpose of creating hydrogen and oxygen from electricity and water?

The purpose is to produce clean and renewable sources of hydrogen and oxygen, which can then be used as fuels or in various industrial processes.

3. What are the benefits of using hydrogen and oxygen produced from electricity and water?

Using hydrogen and oxygen produced from electricity and water eliminates the need for fossil fuels, reduces carbon emissions, and promotes sustainable energy production.

4. What are some potential applications for hydrogen and oxygen produced from electricity and water?

Hydrogen and oxygen produced from electricity and water can be used in fuel cells to power vehicles, in industrial processes such as steel production, and in hydrogen fuel cells for backup power systems.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to producing hydrogen and oxygen from electricity and water?

The main challenge is the high energy input required for electrolysis, which can make the process expensive and less efficient. Additionally, storing and transporting hydrogen gas can also be challenging. However, advancements in technology are addressing these limitations.