Velocity phase space and energy diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase spaces and energy diagrams, specifically for a harmonic oscillator system. The speaker is looking for clarification on how to plot the velocity phase space and energy diagram for this system. The expert suggests plotting velocity and time for the velocity phase space and calculating and plotting total energy for the energy diagram.
phys2

Homework Statement

Ok I have attached the pdf file and I have a problem with velocity phase spaces (Question 3a). Honestly, the lecture notes were not very helpful and looking online and in textbooks, they talked about solving Lagrange's equations but nothing to deal with the problem of Q3. These are the questions I have;

(a) So I understand that phase spaces are what you get when you solve Lagrange's equations; ie they will be sketches of paths?

For example; if I took the harmonic oscillator (with no driving forces or friction), solving using either lagrange or plain Newtonian way; i would get x(t) = Acos(wt) + Bsin(wt). What I planned to do was take dx/dt and then plot v (on y axis) and t on (x-axis). Would that give me the velocity phase space of the harmonic oscillator?

(b) The next problem would be dealing with energy diagrams. Suppose I have the energy diagram of the harmonic oscillator with V = 0.5kx2 and I drew that on the y-axis and position on the x-axis. I would get a parabola originating at x = 0. Then what do I do?

Sorry for all the questions; preparing for a test soon! Thanks in advance :smile:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• paper.pdf
    444 KB · Views: 285
Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) - Yes, plotting the velocity and time on the x and y axis respectively would give you the velocity phase space of the harmonic oscillator. For (b) - The energy diagram is a representation of the total energy of the system at any given time. To plot the energy diagram, you need to first calculate the total energy of the system. This can be done by summing up the kinetic and potential energies of the system. You can then plot the total energy of the system on the y-axis and the position of the system on the x-axis - this will give you the energy diagram.

Related to Velocity phase space and energy diagrams

1. What is velocity phase space?

Velocity phase space is a graphical representation of the velocity of particles in a system. It shows the magnitude and direction of the velocity of each particle in the system at a given time.

2. What is the purpose of a velocity phase space diagram?

The purpose of a velocity phase space diagram is to visualize the behavior and properties of a system's particles in terms of their velocity. It can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships between the particles.

3. How is energy represented in a velocity phase space diagram?

In a velocity phase space diagram, energy is represented by the shape and size of the phase space trajectory. The trajectory's curvature and area are used to determine the energy of the system.

4. What is the relationship between velocity phase space and energy diagrams?

Velocity phase space and energy diagrams are closely related as they both represent the behavior and properties of a system. Velocity phase space diagrams show the velocity of particles, while energy diagrams show the energy of the system.

5. How can velocity phase space and energy diagrams be used to study physical systems?

Velocity phase space and energy diagrams can be used to study physical systems by analyzing the behavior and properties of the particles in the system. They can also help identify any changes or patterns in the system over time, providing insights into the system's dynamics and energy transformations.