Velocity of the center of mass

In summary, the question asks for the speed of the center of mass of a particle system consisting of two particles, one with a mass of 5.6 kg moving east at 10 m/s and the other with a mass of 17 kg moving west at 10 m/s. The formula for finding the center of mass is used, with the momentum of the particles being treated as vectors. The final equation is (17 - 5.6)/(17 + 5.6) which results in a speed of 10 m/s for the center of mass.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

If a particle of mass 5.6 kg is moving east at 10 m/s and a particle of mass 17 kg is moving west at 10 m/s, what is the speed of the center of mass of the pair?

Homework Equations

Not sure how it would relate, but to find the center of mass = (m1x1 + m2x2)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out where to start. Our homework does not come from our textbook, so our textbook doesn't have any relevant equations/solutions for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
JJones_86 said:

Homework Statement

If a particle of mass 5.6 kg is moving east at 10 m/s and a particle of mass 17 kg is moving west at 10 m/s, what is the speed of the center of mass of the pair?2. Homework Equations

Not sure how it would relate, but to find the center of mass = (m1x1 + m2x2)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out where to start. Our homework does not come from our textbook, so our textbook doesn't have any relevant equations/solutions for this problem.

Actually your intuition is pretty good. Because if you were to treat the momentum of the particles as vectors and add them, then you have a vector for the combined momentum of the particle system. Since the momentum of this system can be expressed as the Velocity Vector times the scalar of the combined mass, then your result would be the Velocity Vector of the system. Just replace the x1 and x2 in your equation with the velocities and ... you have the equation for the Velocity of the Center of Mass.

Ok, so let me see if I'm following you..
So I find the momentum of Particle 1 and Particle 2, and since they are moving towards each other, i find the differnce, and this is the combined momentum of the particle system. I'm not sure what you mean by this momentum can be expressed as the velocity vector times the scalar of the combined mass...

JJones_86 said:
Ok, so let me see if I'm following you..
So I find the momentum of Particle 1 and Particle 2, and since they are moving towards each other, i find the differnce, and this is the combined momentum of the particle system. I'm not sure what you mean by this momentum can be expressed as the velocity vector times the scalar of the combined mass...

[tex] m_1\vec V_1 + m_2\vec V_2 = M_{total} * \vec V_{CofM} [/tex]

Ok, but I'm getting that the velocity is 10 m/s, and it is the incorrect answer

I did this:

(5.6 kg(10 m/s) + 17 kg(10 m/s))/(5.6 kg + 17 kg) = 10 m/s...

JJones_86 said:
Ok, but I'm getting that the velocity is 10 m/s, and it is the incorrect answer

I did this:

(5.6 kg(10 m/s) + 17 kg(10 m/s))/(5.6 kg + 17 kg) = 10 m/s...

You didn't treat them as vectors.

One is moving east, the other west. You want something more like (17 - 5.6)/(17 + 5.6)

Ok, I figured it out. Once again I appreciate it.

Related to Velocity of the center of mass

1. What is the definition of velocity of the center of mass?

The velocity of the center of mass is the rate of change of the position of the center of mass of a body over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

2. How is the velocity of the center of mass different from the velocity of individual particles?

The velocity of the center of mass takes into account the motion of all particles within a body, whereas the velocity of individual particles only considers the motion of a single particle. The velocity of the center of mass is a measure of the overall motion of the body.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the center of mass?

The velocity of the center of mass is affected by the mass distribution of a body and the external forces acting on the body. Generally, a larger mass distribution or stronger external forces will result in a higher velocity of the center of mass.

4. How is the velocity of the center of mass related to the momentum of a body?

The velocity of the center of mass is directly proportional to the momentum of a body. This means that as the velocity of the center of mass increases, so does the momentum of the body.

5. Can the velocity of the center of mass change over time?

Yes, the velocity of the center of mass can change over time if there is a change in the external forces acting on the body or if there is a redistribution of mass within the body. However, the velocity of the center of mass will remain constant if there are no external forces acting on the body.