Velocity of Plane Relative to Ground: Answer & Explanation

In summary, the plane is moving at a velocity of 227 km/hr and the angle is 22 degrees south of east. This is determined by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the velocity and the inverse tangent function to find the angle.
wolves5
A plane is headed eastward at a speed of 210 km/hr. The wind is blowing southward at 85.0 km/hr. The velocity of the plane relative to the ground is?
a. 192 km/hr at an angle of 22 degrees south of east
b. 192 km/hr at an angle of 22 degrees east of south
c. 227 km/hr at an angle of 68 degrees south of east
d. 227 km/hr at an angle of 68 degrees east of south

For the velocity, I did square root (210^2 + 85.0^2) and I got 227 km/hr. However, when finding the angle, I did tan-1(85/210) and got 22 degrees. I don't know which one would be the correct answer then.

Physics news on Phys.org
First tell me,

Which direction does tan-1(85/225) signify-
east of south or south of east?

The answer to your question lies in this particular answer!

Hi,

Agree with you.. please justify the direction..

Related to Velocity of Plane Relative to Ground: Answer & Explanation

1. What is the velocity of a plane relative to the ground?

The velocity of a plane relative to the ground refers to the speed and direction of the plane in relation to the surface of the earth. It can be affected by various factors such as wind speed and direction.

2. How is the velocity of a plane relative to the ground calculated?

The velocity of a plane relative to the ground can be calculated by combining the velocity of the plane in the air with the velocity of the wind. This is known as the vector addition of velocities.

3. Why is the velocity of a plane relative to the ground important?

Knowing the velocity of a plane relative to the ground is important for pilots to accurately navigate their flight path and for air traffic control to ensure the safety of all aircraft in the sky.

4. Can the velocity of a plane relative to the ground change during flight?

Yes, the velocity of a plane relative to the ground can change during flight due to changes in wind speed and direction, as well as changes in the plane's speed and direction.

5. How does the velocity of a plane relative to the ground affect travel time?

The velocity of a plane relative to the ground can affect travel time as it can either increase or decrease the overall speed of the plane. A tailwind (wind blowing in the same direction as the plane) can increase the speed of the plane, while a headwind (wind blowing in the opposite direction) can decrease the speed and therefore increase travel time.