Velocity of mass connected to a fixed rotating wheel with a massless string

In summary: The answer they give is 0.5m/s, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. I've asked my lecturer if he could provide a worked solution to the question, but he hasn't replied yet. Thanks for all your help, I thought I was going crazy!In summary, the problem involves a mass of 0.8kg attached to a massless string, passing over a pulley and wrapped around a wheel with a radius of 0.5m and a rotational inertia of 1.0 kgm^2. The mass is initially held at a height of 1.5m and released, causing the wheel to rotate. Using the equations for torque and angular acceleration, the speed of the mass when
carol123

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.8kg is attached to a massless string that passes over a pulley and is wrapped around a wheel of radius 0.5m, and rotational inertia 1.0 kgm^2. The wheel can rotate freely. The mass is initially held stationary at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When the mass is released it falls to the floor, causing the wheel to rotate via the attached string. What is the speed of the mass when it reaches the ground?

(Just to make it clearer, as a diagram is included; the wheel is fixed on a block, rotating horizontally, with the string going through a pulley, then turned 90 degrees (vertical to the ground). This string is then attached to the mass, where the mass is initially 1.5m off the ground).

3575770790_ba764322e1.jpg

Homework Equations

Tau(torque) = F(force)r(radius) = T(tension of string)r(radius of wheel)
α(angular acceleration) = Tau(torque)/I(moment of inertia)
a(tangential acceleration) = r(radius)α(angular acceleration)
I = Mr^2

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ah

The Attempt at a Solution

TR = Iα
= M(g - a)= Iα (since total acceleration of the string is in the opposite direction to tension)
=0.5(0.8*9.8 - 0.8*a) = α (because I is equal to 1 kgm^2)
(0.5*r)*(7.84 - 0.8*a) = a
0.5*(7.84 - 0.8*a) = 4a
7.84 - 0.8a = 8a
8.8a = 7.84
a= 0.89ms^-2 --> I didn't feel confident with this, so I didn't coninue on with it. I tried working backwards from the speed given, knowing that the inital speed is zero, and that the height is 1,5m, but there must be some concept that I don;t understand.

Other times I tried this, I found a circular result, or that I would get acceleration equal to 9.8ms^-2. I'm not sure if I should somehow use the mass of the wheel, calculating it using moment of inertia and the radius of wheel. The correct solution that the past exam paper includes is speed = 0.5ms^-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
carol123 said:
(Just to make it clearer, as a diagram is included; the wheel is fixed on a block, rotating horizontally, with the string going through a pulley, then turned 90 degrees (vertical to the ground). This string is then attached to the mass, where the mass is initially 1.5m off the ground).
Your diagram shows the string connected to something on top of the block. I assume that's just an error.

TR = Iα
= M(g - a)= Iα (since total acceleration of the string is in the opposite direction to tension)
=0.5(0.8*9.8 - 0.8*a) = α (because I is equal to 1 kgm^2)
(0.5*r)*(7.84 - 0.8*a) = a
OK.
0.5*(7.84 - 0.8*a) = 4a
Redo this step.

You can also use conservation of energy to solve this problem.

The thing on the top of the block is the wheel from which the string is wrapped around. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. :)

carol123 said:
The thing on the top of the block is the wheel from which the string is wrapped around. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. :)
I see a string that attaches to the hanging mass, passes over a pulley, then attaches to some unknown thing. But I assume from your description (and solution) that the string just wraps around the pulley and doesn't attach to some other thing. Right?

Edit: Never mind! Now I see what you are saying. That "unknown thing" is the wheel; the pulley is presumed massless. :rolleyes:

But my comments in the previous post remain.

Reviewing the step 0.5*(7.84 - 0.8*a) = 4a, I found where i made a mistake. I now know that that should be (7.84 - 0.8*a) = 4a
Which simplifies to:

7.84 = 4.8a
a= 1.63 ms^-1
vi= 0ms^-1
h= 1.5m
Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ah
Vf^2 = 0 + 2*1.63*1.5
Vf^2 = 4.9 m^2*s^-4
Vf= 2.21 ms^-1 ---> which is unfortunately wrong according to the answer. :(

I agree with your answer.

I've also tried using the conservation of energy as you suggest.

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
0 + mgh= 0.5mv^2 + 0.5Iω^2 + 0
0.8*9.8*1.5 = 0.5*0.8*v^2 +0.5ω^2
11.76r^2 = r^2*0.4V^2 + 0.5(ωr)^2
2.94= 0.1v^2 + 0.5v^2
v^2 = 4.9 m^2*s^-2
v = 2.21 ms^-1
I guess perhaps the answer given is wrong, or maybe a crazy coincidence.

Does it give an answer? Or is are you using an online system?

It's a question from a past exam paper from my uni, and they supplied the answers (without worked solutions) online.

Related to Velocity of mass connected to a fixed rotating wheel with a massless string

1. What is the relationship between the velocity of a mass and a fixed rotating wheel?

The velocity of a mass connected to a fixed rotating wheel with a massless string is directly proportional to the rotational velocity of the wheel. This means that as the wheel's rotational velocity increases, the mass's velocity also increases.

2. How does the length of the string affect the velocity of the mass?

The length of the string does not affect the velocity of the mass. As long as the string remains taut and connected to the rotating wheel, the mass will have the same velocity regardless of the string's length.

3. Does the mass of the wheel have an impact on the velocity of the connected mass?

No, the mass of the rotating wheel does not affect the velocity of the connected mass. As long as the wheel is fixed and rotates at a constant velocity, the mass's velocity will remain the same.

4. Can the velocity of the mass change if the wheel's rotational direction is reversed?

Yes, reversing the rotational direction of the wheel will also reverse the direction of the mass's velocity. This is because the velocity of the mass is dependent on the direction of the wheel's rotation.

5. How does the angular velocity of the wheel affect the velocity of the connected mass?

The angular velocity of the wheel is directly related to the velocity of the connected mass. As the wheel's angular velocity increases, the mass's velocity also increases, and vice versa.