Velocity of light and absolute rest

In summary, light always travels at a constant speed of 3 x 10^8 m/s, regardless of the frame of reference. This means that the speed of light is invariant, not absolute, and there is no such thing as "absolute motion" or "absolute rest" in relativistic physics. The question of whether light can be seen at rest is not meaningful in this context.
shivakumarvv75
dear sir, light travels with constant speed of 3 x 10^8 m/s. does that mean light is in absolute motion irrespective of the its source?

Physics news on Phys.org
i need help in understanding physics as it is

What do you mean by ”absolute motion”?

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by ”absolute motion”?
I mean absolute motion as apposite of absolute rest.

Unfortunately neither absolute motion nor absolute rest are standard terms as far as I know. So that doesn't help.

Light is always moving in all frames of reference, it is true.

shivakumarvv75 said:
i need help in understanding physics as it is

Then you need to learn how to use its terminology correctly. In relativistic physics, there is no such thing as "absolute motion" or "absolute rest". So the question you are asking is meaningless.

shivakumarvv75 said:
dear sir, light travels with constant speed of 3 x 10^8 m/s. does that mean light is in absolute motion irrespective of the its source?
With respect to what? Light has a constant relative speed of 299792458 m/s with respect to whoever is measuring it.
So, the speed of light as measured by any observer does not depend on the relative velocity of the source to the observer.
In addition, changing it own velocity doe not change the speed of that same light as measured relative to the source as measured by the source.

So for example, let's assume that we have two objects, A and B approaching each other, and at the moment they pass each other a flash of light is emitted. It doesn't matter whether A of B emits the flash. For an observer watching these two meeting, the light expands outward at c, while Both A and B move on from the point of emission. Like this.
flash.gif

However, If you are at rest with respect to A, this is what happens according to you
flashA.gif

The light expands outward from A after B passes by and B chases after the left edge of the expanding light

If you were at rest with respect to B, then this is what happens

flashB.gif

Now B remains at the center of the flash, while A chases after the right edge of the flash.

Thus is is more appropriate to say that the speed of light is invariant rather than absolute (Absolute implies that there is one single frame of reference which everyone agrees is the one that the speed of light is constant with respect to.)

Attachments

• flash.gif
    flash.gif
    64.4 KB · Views: 756
  • flashA.gif
    flashA.gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 618
  • flashB.gif
    flashB.gif
    49.4 KB · Views: 593
Likes 256bits
shivakumarvv75 said:
PeterDonis said:
Then you need to learn how to use its terminology correctly. In relativistic physics, there is no such thing as "absolute motion" or "absolute rest". So the question you are asking is meaningless.
True, but the question is not totally meaningless, if he re-states or edits it + the title. E.g. "can light be seen at rest?"
However there have been many similar or directly relevant threads. Perhaps we could reference him to a couple. (The ones on the bottom of the page [by the system], not the best though. A search is needed, for better ...)
What do you think?

Edit note: I think he's basically inquiring about the 'Light Principle' (or the 'Principle of the Constancy of the Speed of Light') in Special (and General ...) Relativity.

Likes shivakumarvv75
I am with @PeterDonis on this. “Absolute X” usually refers to X as measured with respect to the absolute reference frame. Since that doesn’t exist the question doesn’t make sense.

It is possible that the OP means something along the lines of “invariant” instead of what we usually refer to with “absolute”

Dale said:
I am with @PeterDonis on this. “Absolute X” usually refers to X as measured with respect to the absolute reference frame. Since that doesn’t exist the question doesn’t make sense.
But that's not what he means. We can give him a chance to restate ... He will learn in the process (from it) ...
I do not insist though.

Stavros Kiri said:
But that's not what he means.
Maybe not, but the only clarification he gave was “as apposite of absolute rest” which refers to being at rest in the absolute frame. So it may be exactly what he means.

Dale said:
Maybe not, but the only clarification he gave was “as apposite of absolute rest” which refers to being at rest in the absolute frame. So it may be exactly what he means.
He sais that he lacks knowledge of Physics (and perhaps confuses terminology). 'Absolute' as 'complete' is I think what he means (e.g. "complete motion" * vs "complete rest" *). Perhaps it's a problem of correct language too.
But, you're right. Unless he verifies those, there's nothing we can do ...

* [Or e.g. "complete motion" as "always in motion" vs "complete rest" as "always at rest"]
+ see post #8 +
Ibix said:
Light is always moving in all frames of reference, it is true.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
@Stavros Kiri please do not speculate on what the OP means. It's up to the OP to clarify his question.
I said that too. E.g.
Stavros Kiri said:
But, you're right. Unless he verifies those, there's nothing we can do ...
It's a common students' misuse of terminology that I've seen with foreigner students.
I'm anxious of his reply too!

thank you sir.now I think I have joined the journey of understanding understanding physics.

shivakumarvv75 said:
thank you sir.now I think I have joined the journey of understanding understanding physics.
+ Welcome to PF and good luck in your Journey! ...
PF is an immense resource that values accurate valid science (as described in the PF rules), and if used properly it can also help you a lot with that journey. Our mentors are always here to help us and the members willing to participate ...

sir, with the fact that speed of light is invariant, can the inertial frame of reference with respect to center of universe be found?

shivakumarvv75 said:
can the inertial frame of reference with respect to center of universe be found?
I'm afraid there is no such a thing. I suggest that you first study thoroughly and validly the terms 'relative motion' versus 'absolute motion' as used in Physics/Mechanics/Relativity etc. .

shivakumarvv75 said:
with the fact that speed of light is invariant
Note also that we should add:

"in vacuum"

shivakumarvv75 said:
sir, with the fact that speed of light is invariant, can the inertial frame of reference with respect to center of universe be found?
As far as we know there is no center of the universe. However, at every point there is a reference frame where the universe is isotropic.

Likes Stavros Kiri
shivakumarvv75 said:
The universe doesn't have a centre, as far as we are aware. And, in fact, the meaning of "relativity" in the sense of the theory of relativity is that you can use any frame of reference you like, and no frame has any more significance than any other. A frame might be convenient for some particular task, but you can always use any frame.

It's worth noting that one of the experiments (Michelson and Morley's) done before Einstein discovered relativity was aimed to detect variation in the speed of light and, therefore, find the rest frame of the ether, the medium in which light was thought to travel. That we couldn't find any such frame (because there is no ether and light travels at the same speed in all inertial frames) was a big hint that Einstein's theory was correct.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Dale said:
As far as we know there is no center of the universe. However, at every point there is a reference frame where the universe is isotropic.
Is there always such an "isotropic" frame? Is is unique (at each point)? How would one know that he was in such a frame? I am truly unsure about all of the above...

hutchphd said:
Is there always such an "isotropic" frame? Is is unique (at each point)?
If our cosmological model is correct, yes.

hutchphd said:
How would one know that he was in such a frame?
One would carefully measure the cosmic microwave background radiation. If there is no dipole anisotropy then one is at rest in that frame. If there is dipole anisotropy then you can use it to determine how fast and in which direction you are moving with respect to that frame.

Likes Stavros Kiri and hutchphd
Dale said:
If our cosmological model is correct, yes.

One would carefully measure the cosmic microwave background radiation. If there is no dipole anisotropy then one is at rest in that frame. If there is dipole anisotropy then you can use it to determine how fast and in which direction you are moving with respect to that frame.
However, there is the "CMBR Axis of Evil" (CMBR = Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) ...

Stavros Kiri said:
However, there is the "CMBR Axis of Evil" (CMBR = Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) ...

This is still being analyzed; you'll note that the Wikipedia article mentions that we don't know for sure that these results are statistically significant.

Personally, my money is on "it's a statistical error that will go away as we collect more data". But we'll have to wait and see.

Stavros Kiri said:
Note that the axis of evil, even if it does exist, does not prevent the detection of the dipole anisotropy. It is a different form of anisotropy.

However, I am also skeptical without more evidence.

PeterDonis said:
This is still being analyzed
Dale said:
However, I am also skeptical without more evidence.
Both well said! I do not disagree. It's still an open subject/problem. We have to wait for more evidence etc.

Related to Velocity of light and absolute rest

1. What is the velocity of light?

The velocity of light, denoted as c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. In other words, it is the maximum speed at which energy, information, and matter can travel through space.

2. How was the velocity of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the velocity of light was done by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. He observed the moons of Jupiter and noticed a time difference in their eclipses depending on the distance between Earth and Jupiter. This led him to estimate the velocity of light to be approximately 220,000 kilometers per second.

3. What is the significance of the velocity of light?

The velocity of light is a crucial constant in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It serves as a universal speed limit in the universe and plays a vital role in theories such as Einstein's theory of relativity. It also helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and has practical applications in technologies such as fiber optics and GPS systems.

4. Can the velocity of light be surpassed?

According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for an object to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases exponentially, making it more and more difficult to accelerate. Therefore, the velocity of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

5. What is absolute rest?

Absolute rest, also known as absolute rest frame, is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a state of complete rest or zero motion. It is a reference frame in which an object has zero velocity and is not affected by any external forces. However, since all objects are constantly in motion in the universe, the concept of absolute rest is not observed in reality and is only used as a theoretical reference point.