Velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity of the centre of mass of a glass marble rolling down a gentle ramp without slipping. The marble has travelled 2.3 m and its moment of inertia is given as 2/5MR^2. The person asking for help is struggling with the question and is asked if they are familiar with potential energy and if they can connect rotation and velocity of center of mass.
redtrebor
Find the velocity of the centre of mass of a glass marble which rolls from rest down a
gentle ramp inclined at an angle of 10o
to the horizontal, without slipping, after it has
travelled for a distance of 2.3 m.

Moment of inertia of sphere: 2/5MR^2

Past paper question that I'm really struggling with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi treb, and welcome to PF.
How did you bypass the template ? Folks at PF don't enforce it strictly to pester you! Use it and you'll get answers.

Hi, that was as close to the template as i could manage I'm afraid. I really don't know where to start with this question

I need a bit more to help you adequately. Ever heard of potential energy ? Can you connect rotation and velocity of center of mass with each other ?

The velocity of the centre of mass can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the centre of mass to the point of rotation. In this case, the marble is rolling without slipping, so the angular velocity is equal to the linear velocity divided by the radius, ω = v/r.

To find the linear velocity, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and s is the distance travelled. In this scenario, the acceleration is due to gravity and can be calculated using a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of the ramp (10 degrees).

Plugging in the values, we get v^2 = 0 + 2(9.8 m/s^2)(2.3 m)sin(10o) = 42.4 m^2/s^2. Taking the square root, we get v = 6.5 m/s.

Now, to find the angular velocity, we can use the formula ω = v/r. The radius of the marble can be calculated using the moment of inertia formula for a sphere, I = 2/5MR^2, where M is the mass of the marble and R is the radius. Rearranging for R, we get R = √(5I/2M). Plugging in the values of I (2/5MR^2) and M, we get R = √(5(2/5MR^2)/2M) = √(R^2) = R.

Therefore, the angular velocity is ω = v/R = 6.5 m/s / R.

To find the final velocity of the centre of mass, we can use the formula v = ωr, where r is the distance travelled (2.3 m). Plugging in the values, we get v = (6.5 m/s)(2.3 m) = 14.95 m/s.

In conclusion, the velocity of the centre of mass of the glass marble rolling without slipping down a ramp inclined at 10 degrees after travelling a distance of 2.3

Related to Velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping)

1. What is the definition of the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping)?

The velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) is the speed and direction at which the centre of mass of an object moves while it is rolling without slipping. It takes into account both the linear motion of the centre of mass and the rotational motion of the object.

2. How is the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) calculated?

The velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) can be calculated by taking the product of the angular velocity (ω) and the radius of the rolling object (r): v = ωr. This means that the linear speed of the centre of mass is equal to the angular speed of the object multiplied by the distance from the centre of mass to the axis of rotation.

3. Is the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) constant?

Yes, the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) is constant as long as the object is rolling without slipping. This is because there is no external force acting on the object to change its linear or angular velocity.

4. Can the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) be greater than the linear speed of the object?

Yes, it is possible for the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) to be greater than the linear speed of the object. This can happen when the object is rolling down an incline or when the axis of rotation is located outside of the object.

5. How does the velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) affect the stability of the object?

The velocity of centre of mass (rolling w/o slipping) does not directly affect the stability of the object. However, if the velocity of centre of mass is too high, it can lead to slipping or loss of control, which can affect the stability of the object. It is important to maintain a stable and consistent velocity of centre of mass for safe and controlled rolling motion.