Velocity of cart after seperation

In summary, the conversation is about a person who joined in on their cousin's physics homework and solved a problem that their teacher did not assign. The person is now trying to check their answer and is unsure about the velocity of cart 1 in a train with two carts. They are using the equation P=mv and are considering the conservation of momentum. They eventually realize that they need to use v2=7m/s for v1= (p - m2v2)/m1.
jimmyly

Homework Statement

Hello, so i had a family party and my cousin was doing his physics homework so i decided to join in. now I'm at home and was playing with one of the problems that his teacher didn't assign and got an answer that i want to check because my teacher skipped the moment chapter(i go to community college and we ran out of time because we had a strike) so i really want to know if i got it.

i can't remember what exactly the question said but i remember my sketch

[m1]--[m2]-->4m/s
cart 1 and cart 2 are connected as a train going 4m/s

[m1]- *break* -[m2]-->7m/s
cart 1 cart 2
what is the velocity of cart 1

Homework Equations

P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

P = mv

p=p' because of conservation of momentum?

p = m1v1 + m2v2
v1 = (p - m2v2)/m1
this is where I'm kind of iffy... if together they go 4m/s does that mean they both go 4m/s or is it divided by 2 each?

Physics news on Phys.org
now I'm thinking... if i need a ratio between the two masses?

okay i just realized i use v2=7m/s for v1= (p - m2v2)/m1... lol

Last edited:

Related to Velocity of cart after seperation

What is the velocity of the cart after separation?

The velocity of the cart after separation will depend on the initial velocity and mass of the cart, as well as the forces acting on it during separation. It can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How does the mass of the cart affect its velocity after separation?

The mass of the cart does not directly affect its velocity after separation. However, it does affect the acceleration of the cart during separation, which in turn can affect its final velocity. A heavier cart will require more force to accelerate, resulting in a lower final velocity compared to a lighter cart.

Can the velocity of the cart after separation be negative?

Yes, the velocity of the cart after separation can be negative. This indicates that the cart is moving in the opposite direction to its initial velocity. It could be caused by a decelerating force acting on the cart during separation, or if the initial velocity was negative.

How is the velocity of the cart after separation affected by friction?

The velocity of the cart after separation can be affected by friction, as it is a force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the cart. Friction can cause the cart to slow down, resulting in a lower final velocity compared to if there was no friction present.

What factors can influence the velocity of the cart after separation?

The velocity of the cart after separation can be influenced by various factors such as the initial velocity, mass of the cart, forces acting on the cart during separation (such as friction and air resistance), and the duration of separation. Other external factors such as the surface the cart is on and the angle of separation can also play a role.