Velocity of an object with varying mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the law of conservation of momentum in a collision between raindrops and a box. One person suggests using d(mv)/dt instead of m*(dv/dt) and the other agrees as long as the mass is constant. The conversation also touches on the topic of external forces and confirms that there are no external forces acting on the box. The expert provides a more rigorous approach by considering the horizontal momentum of the box and rain system, which is conserved. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the danger of blindly using d(mv)/dt.
Nasa123123
Homework Statement
I am working on a problem where a box is moving on a frictionless surface with velocity v0, and is gaining mass by the rate of dm/dt = a. There are no external forces working on the box. The problem is to find an expression for the velocity as a function of time as the mass increases. The rate of change in mass is just given as «a» and I interpret this as it is not supposed to be a variable in the differential equation.
Relevant Equations
F = ma = m dP/dt = m dv/dt
I have tried several things but I am a little uncertain if I’m thinking right so a little hint goes a long way. I think I have to use the law of conservation of momentum as the collision between the raindrops and the box is inelastic. But I am unsure how to set up the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of m * (dv / dt) try this:
d(m*v) / dt.

When mass is constant, they are equivalent. What does your problem say about external forces?

scottdave said:
Instead of m * (dv / dt) try this:
d(m*v) / dt.

When mass is constant, they are equivalent. What does your problem say about external forces?
There are no external forces working on the box.

scottdave said:
d(m*v) / dt
Ummm... I wage a personal war against using that to encompass a varying mass (and I'm not alone).
In the real world, the mass of a closed system does not change. If the mass is increasing it is coming from somewhere else, and it does so with its own momentum. Using d(mv)/dt happens to work if that momentum is zero in the reference frame.
In the present case, it seems these are raindrops, and I would guess they arrive with a velocity normal to that of the box (@Nasa123123 , please confirm). So you would get away with it in this case.

Likes Orodruin, jbriggs444 and PeroK
haruspex said:
Ummm... I wage a personal war against using that to encompass a varying mass (and I'm not alone).
In the real world, the mass of a closed system does not change. If the mass is increasing it is coming from somewhere else, and it does so with its own momentum. Using d(mv)/dt happens to work if that momentum is zero in the reference frame.
In the present case, it seems these are raindrops, and I would guess they arrive with a velocity normal to that of the box (@Nasa123123 , please confirm). So you would get away with it in this case.
Yes, the raindrops are falling vertically from the sky with no impact from wind or other forces.

Nasa123123 said:
Yes, the raindrops are falling vertically from the sky with no impact from wind or other forces.
As I wrote, you can use @scottdave's equation because the raindrops bring no horizontal momentum with them.
A more rigorous approach is to consider the horizontal momentum of the box+rain system. This is conserved, so the rate at which the rain gains momentum equals the rate at which the (dry) box loses it.

Likes scottdave
haruspex said:
I support your cause! If one used d(mv)/dt=0 blindly one would build very poor rockets.

Related to Velocity of an object with varying mass

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measurement of an object's rate of motion in a specific direction. It is calculated as the displacement of an object divided by the time it takes to move that distance.

2. How does an object's mass affect its velocity?

An object's mass does not directly affect its velocity. However, a change in mass can result in a change in the object's acceleration, which can impact its velocity.

3. How is the velocity of an object with varying mass calculated?

The velocity of an object with varying mass is calculated using the equation V = (u + at)/m, where V is velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and m is mass.

4. Can the velocity of an object with varying mass be constant?

Yes, the velocity of an object with varying mass can be constant if the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no change in acceleration or mass.

5. How is the velocity of an object with varying mass affected by external forces?

The velocity of an object with varying mass can be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance, which can result in a change in acceleration and impact the object's velocity.