Velocity of a box going up an inclined plane.

In summary, the problem involves a box being hurled up an incline plane of 20 degrees at 10m/second without friction. The velocity after 3 seconds is being calculated using the equation v=u+at, where u is the initial velocity, v is the velocity after 3 seconds, and t is the time. The acceleration is 9.81x.342=3.355ms^-2 and the correct calculation is (10-3.355x3) = -0.65m/s. The error in the questioner's solution was using 3.55 instead of 3.355 in the calculation.
Berean7

Homework Statement

A box is hurled up an incline plane of 20 degrees at 10m/second. There is no friction. What is the velocity after 3 seconds. I know gravity and the sin of 20 degrees has to be factored in.

Homework Equations

v=u+at. u is initial velocity, v is velocity after 3 seconds, t is time.

The Attempt at a Solution

9.81x.342=3.355ms^-2. Using the above equation I calculate -.065m/s (10-3.55x3). This does not match any of my answers. I do not know were I went off-track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, Berean7.

I agree with your acceleration. I see that (10-3.55x3) is u+at, but were did that
-0.65 m/s come from?

Berean7 said:

Homework Statement

A box is hurled up an incline plane of 20 degrees at 10m/second. There is no friction. What is the velocity after 3 seconds. I know gravity and the sin of 20 degrees has to be factored in.

Homework Equations

v=u+at. u is initial velocity, v is velocity after 3 seconds, t is time.

The Attempt at a Solution

9.81x.342=3.355ms^-2. Using the above equation I calculate -.065m/s (10-3.55x3). This does not match any of my answers. I do not know were I went off-track.

Check out the two numbers 3.355 and 3.55 in your analysis.

Chet

Good catch, Chet.

I should know better than to answer questions after hours of grading final exams...

Thank you 4 the replies. .355 should have been used in both spots. I just typed it wrong. I arrived at the right answer.

Related to Velocity of a box going up an inclined plane.

What is the velocity of a box going up an inclined plane?

The velocity of a box going up an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the inclined plane.

How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the velocity of the box?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the box will accelerate and therefore have a higher velocity. This is because the component of gravity acting down the plane increases with a steeper angle.

Can the velocity of the box going up an inclined plane ever be zero?

Yes, the velocity of the box can be zero at the top of the inclined plane if all of its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. However, it will then start to accelerate back down the plane due to the force of gravity.

Is the velocity of the box going up an inclined plane affected by friction?

Yes, friction will act against the motion of the box and therefore decrease its velocity. The amount of friction will depend on the coefficient of friction between the box and the inclined plane surface.

What other factors can affect the velocity of the box going up an inclined plane?

The mass of the box, the height of the inclined plane, and the acceleration due to gravity can all affect the velocity of the box. Air resistance may also play a role if the box is moving at high speeds.