Velocity graph of an object speeding up

In summary, the object is speeding up during segment C and slowing down during segments B and E. However, the velocity is constant at segments A, D, and F. Speed, which is the absolute value of velocity, is direction-ignorant and can be represented by taking the absolute value of velocity values. This can be seen in segment C where speed increases despite the negative velocity values.
Steelers72
media%2Fe5b%2Fe5b060ed-132a-462a-a66c-c0df0f8e3004%2FphpSkSz8y.png

During which segment(s) is the object speeding up?
During which segment(s) is the object slowing down?I understand that the velocity is constant at A D E, and that it is moving in the positive right direction at segments A and B, but I'm confused at this part.

I originally thought that it is speeding up at E since the slope is positive and slowing down a B and C because the slope is negative but apparently those are incorrect.Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Steelers72 said:
I understand that the velocity is zero at A and D
Are you sure about that?

What does speeding up and slowing down mean? (Hint: What is the relation between speed and velocity?)

DrClaude said:
Are you sure about that?

What does speeding up and slowing down mean? (Hint: What is the relation between speed and velocity?)

I meant constant. My fault. It is also constant at F.

And speed is ignorant of direction and velocity is direction aware. I am not sure how to tell if it speeding up or slowing down on a graph though

Steelers72 said:
And speed is ignorant of direction and velocity is direction aware.
Can you write this in a mathematical form?

DrClaude said:
Can you write this in a mathematical form?

V= dX/t

a= dv/t

d being delta or final minus initial

Sorry if I'm not clear, but you need the mathematical relation between speed and velocity.

Steelers72 said:
During which segment(s) is the object speeding up?
I think you can interpret that as "where will the speedometer needle be seen to be climbing?"

NascentOxygen said:
I think you can interpret that as "where will the speedometer needle be seen to be climbing?"

Would B, C, and E be correct? Because the speedometer would be "revving" up at those points? I figured any time the graph looks like it is increasing is when it is speeding up but I think I am incorrect.

Steelers72 said:
Would B, C, and E be correct? Because the speedometer would be "revving" up at those points? I figured any time the graph looks like it is increasing is when it is speeding up but I think I am incorrect.
Through region B the vehicle is seen to be steadily progressing from 2m/s to 0m/s.

Think about the slope of the graph and what it represents. T

Also, how does it differ from the slope of a distance vs time graph?

Brian T said:
Think about the slope of the graph and what it represents. T

Also, how does it differ from the slope of a distance vs time graph?

B and C have a negative slope, E has a positive slope, and A, D, and F have no slopes.

E is the only one that I can see speeding up because it is going from -2 to 0, but apparently that is wrong

Steelers72 said:
B and C have a negative slope
That's from the point of view of the velocity, for which the sign indicates the direction, and may not correspond to slowing down. That's why I keep asking about speed: if you can convert the graph from velocity to speed, then everything will become clearer.

Steelers72 said:
E is the only one that I can see speeding up because it is going from -2 to 0, but apparently that is wrong
Imagine someone telling you: "I was going at 2 m/s to the left, then I was going at 0 m/s." Would you tell that person they were speeding up?

Heres my take on it:
A = constant speed forward ( t = 0 - 3 seconds )
B = slowing to a stop ( t = 3 - 5 seconds )
C = Speeding up in reverse ( t = 5 - 7 seconds )
D = constant speed in reverse ( t = 7 - 8 seconds )
E = slowing to a stop in reverse ( t = 8 - 9 seconds )
F = remaining stopped ( 9 - 10 seconds )

dean barry said:
Heres my take on it:
A = constant speed forward ( t = 0 - 3 seconds )
B = slowing to a stop ( t = 3 - 5 seconds )
C = Speeding up in reverse ( t = 5 - 7 seconds )
D = constant speed in reverse ( t = 7 - 8 seconds )
E = slowing to a stop in reverse ( t = 8 - 9 seconds )
F = remaining stopped ( 9 - 10 seconds )
That looks ok.

Note that what I was trying to get you to write was ##s = | v |##, speed is the absolute value of veloscity (in 1D). If you take the absolute value, then the only segment of the graph where you see an increase is C.

Likes Steelers72
DrClaude said:
That looks ok.

Note that what I was trying to get you to write was ##s = | v |##, speed is the absolute value of veloscity (in 1D). If you take the absolute value, then the only segment of the graph where you see an increase is C.

Thank you for the help. So if speed= absolute value of velocity, you just replace all the negative values of velocity with positive values for speed since speed is a quality that neglects direction. It all makes sense now. Thank you for the help!

Perhaps as an exercise plot a graph of the velocity of a ball thrown up into the air vertically. It came up in another thread. Need not be to exact scale.

Related to Velocity graph of an object speeding up

1. What is a velocity graph?

A velocity graph is a graphical representation of the velocity of an object over time. It shows how the velocity of the object changes over a specific period of time.

2. How do you plot a velocity graph?

To plot a velocity graph, you need to plot the time on the x-axis and the velocity on the y-axis. The velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

3. What does a straight line on a velocity graph indicate?

A straight line on a velocity graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object is not accelerating and is traveling at the same speed throughout the specified time period.

4. How do you determine the acceleration of an object from a velocity graph?

The acceleration of an object can be determined from a velocity graph by calculating the slope of the graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. This can be done by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

5. Can a velocity graph show negative velocity?

Yes, a velocity graph can show negative velocity. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the velocity when interpreting a velocity graph.