Velocity & Gamma Factor of Proton

In summary, Abby calculated that the velocity of a particle in an accelerator having a kinetic energy of 7 TeV is 6.89x10^{-9} meters per second.
Abigale
Hello,

I regard a particle in an accelerator. The particle has the kinetic energy of 7TeV.

I have callculated the momentum $$
E=pc+mc^2\\
\Rightarrow p=\frac{1}{c} \sqrt{E^2 -(mc^2)^2} =7,00094~ TeV/c
$$

After that I want to callculate the "velocity" and the "[itex] \gamma[/itex]-factor".
But I am irritated and don't know which equations are allowed for this relativistic callculations.

For example I have found the equation $$

\vec{p}=m\gamma\vec{v}$$
and
$$
\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-\beta)}}~~~~~~~;\beta=\frac{v}{c}=\frac{pc}{E}
$$

THX
Abby

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's the LHC you're talking about, 7 TeV represents the total energy of the particle, not just the kinetic energy.

After that I want to callculate the "velocity" and the "γ-factor".
Try E = γmc2.

Abigale said:
I regard a particle in an accelerator. The particle has the kinetic energy of 7TeV.

I have callculated the momentum
$$
E=pc+mc^2\\
\Rightarrow p=\frac{1}{c} \sqrt{E^2 -(mc^2)^2} =7,00094~ TeV/c
$$

That should be
$$
E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2\\
\Rightarrow p=\frac{1}{c} \sqrt{E^2 -(mc^2)^2} \approx 7 TeV/c
$$

The last assumes that the mass energy is very small compared to 7 TeV. If it's a proton then the mass is 0.938 GeV, which is quite small compared to 7 TeV.

Abigale said:
After that I want to callculate the "velocity" and the "[itex] \gamma[/itex]-factor".
But I am irritated and don't know which equations are allowed for this relativistic callculations.

For example I have found the equation $$

\vec{p}=m\gamma\vec{v}$$
and
$$
\gamma= \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-\beta)}}~~~~~~~;\beta=\frac{v}{c}=\frac{pc}{E}
$$

Abby

You've got either gamma or beta wrong. I don't know your convention.
$$
\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})}}
$$

But there's an easier way. The kinetic energy is [itex] (\gamma -1) m c^2 = 7 TeV[/itex] and so you can work out [itex] \gamma= (7 TeV - m c^2) / m c^2 [/itex], and to three digits that's 7460. And then you can work out v. (Assuming I did the arithmetic correctly.)

$$
v = c \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\gamma^2}} \approx c (1 - \frac{1}{2(7460)^2})
\approx c(1-8.89 \times 10^{-9})
$$

Related to Velocity & Gamma Factor of Proton

1. What is the velocity of a proton?

The velocity of a proton can vary depending on the circumstances, but on average, protons in the Large Hadron Collider can reach speeds of up to 99.9999991% of the speed of light.

2. How is the velocity of a proton measured?

The velocity of a proton is typically measured using detectors that can track the path of particles and calculate their speed based on their position and time of travel.

3. What is the significance of the gamma factor when discussing protons?

The gamma factor, also known as the Lorentz factor, is a value that relates to the effects of special relativity on a moving object. For protons, a higher gamma factor means that they are moving at a higher velocity and experiencing more relativistic effects.

4. Can the gamma factor of a proton be greater than 1?

Yes, the gamma factor of a proton can be greater than 1. In fact, protons in the Large Hadron Collider can have gamma factors of over 7,000!

5. How do the velocity and gamma factor of a proton affect its interactions with other particles?

The velocity and gamma factor of a proton can greatly impact its interactions with other particles. At high velocities, protons can experience relativistic effects such as time dilation and increased mass, which can affect the outcome of collisions and interactions with other particles.