Velocity Factor & Wave Length: What's the Connection?

In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. If Er is greater than 1.24, the velocity factor will be less than 0.666. However, if Er is less than 1.24, the velocity factor will be greater than 0.666. How come if Er=1.24 put it in the formula c/sqrt(Er) it never will be vf=0.666 for example :confused:
edieber
is the Velocity Factor is a factor to caculate the length wave(gama) or its only connected to the type of the cabe

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you try rephrasing the question? Perhaps there are others on the board who speak your native language who will help you translate.

Integral said:
Could you try rephrasing the question? Perhaps there are others on the board who speak your native language who will help you translate.

I just want to know the meaning of Velocity Factor and if it influence the calculation of the length wave? :rolleyes:

edieber said:
I just want to know the meaning of Velocity Factor and if it influence the calculation of the length wave? :rolleyes:

Your going to have to be a lot clearer and give the context as what you are using is from what I gather the 'velocity factor' is engineering terminlogy referring to the speed of propagation of a signal as a fraction of c, though I could be wrong (and I think you mean wavelength not 'length wave').

jcsd said:
Your going to have to be a lot clearer and give the context as what you are using is from what I gather the 'velocity factor' is engineering terminlogy referring to the speed of propagation of a signal as a fraction of c, though I could be wrong (and I think you mean wavelength not 'length wave').

do you know if it influence the wavelength? :confused:

Yes, the relative speed of the source and the detector influences the observed wavelength.

Tide said:
Yes, the relative speed of the source and the detector influences the observed wavelength.

what is formula to calculate the wavelength if Velocity Factor is 0.66
and Er=1.2 for example

edieber said:
do you know if it influence the wavelength? :confused:

ou have to be clearer 'cos I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about: what exactly are we delaing with? are we dealing with an electrical signal through a wire?

jcsd said:
ou have to be clearer 'cos I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about: what exactly are we delaing with? are we dealing with an electrical signal through a wire?

yes! electrical signal through a wire

You'd do a lot, lot better to post this on the engineering forum, but:

wavelength = velocity factor*(the speed of light in a vacuum/frequency)

jcsd said:
You'd do a lot, lot better to post this on the engineering forum, but:

wavelength = velocity factor*(the speed of light in a vacuum/frequency)

where do you take under consideration the Er ?

What is 'Er'?

jcsd said:
What is 'Er'?

Code:
[tex]\epsilon_r[/tex]
dialectrical coefficient

I'll have to say I don't know how you'd go about calcualting or even if you can calculate it from the velcoity factor and the dialectric cooefficient ,though I think your not after the wavelength but the reflection coefficient.

[tex]\lambda_{observed} = \lambda_{source} \sqrt { \frac {1-\frac {v}{c}}{1+\frac {v}{c}}[/tex]

Tide said:
[tex]\lambda_{observed} = \lambda_{source} \sqrt { \frac {1-\frac {v}{c}}{1+\frac {v}{c}}[/tex]

why you don't take under consideration [tex]\epsilon_r[/tex]
the dialectrical element

edieber said:
why you don't take under consideration [tex]\epsilon_r[/tex]
the dialectrical element

Because I don't fully understand your question. If you are talking about a transmitter and a receiver that are in relative motion with respect to each other then I presume the signal is propagating through empty space or possibly air whose dielectric constant is very close to 1. It doesn't make sense to me that one end of a cable would be moving relative to the other if that's the medium you are talking about.

I think he's talking about the velocity of signal transmission along a coaxial cable, or possibly a transmission line.

as in for instance

http://www.nr6ca.org/vf.html

If so, the velocity factor should be approximately c/sqrt(Er), where Er is the permitivity of the dielectric material relative to the permitivitty of free space.

Last edited by a moderator:
pervect said:
I think he's talking about the velocity of signal transmission along a coaxial cable, or possibly a transmission line.

as in for instance

If so, the velocity factor should be approximately c/sqrt(Er), where Er is the permitivity of the dielectric material relative to the permitivitty of free space.

Oh, okay! I've never heard it called a "velocity factor."

pervect said:

as in for instance

how come if Er=1.24 put it in the formula c/sqrt(Er) it never will be vf=0.666 for example :confused:

Related to Velocity Factor & Wave Length: What's the Connection?

1. What is velocity factor?

Velocity factor is a measure of how quickly an electromagnetic wave travels through a particular medium compared to its speed in a vacuum. It is usually represented as a decimal or percentage, with a value less than 1 indicating a slower speed than in a vacuum.

2. How is velocity factor related to wavelength?

Velocity factor and wavelength are inversely proportional - as velocity factor decreases, wavelength increases. This means that the longer the wavelength, the slower the wave will travel through a particular medium.

3. Why is velocity factor important in understanding electromagnetic waves?

Velocity factor is important because it affects the propagation of electromagnetic waves through different materials. Different materials have different velocity factors, which can cause the wavelength of a wave to change as it passes through them. This can impact the performance of electronic devices, such as antennas or cables.

4. How is velocity factor measured?

Velocity factor is typically measured by comparing the speed of a wave in a specific medium to the speed of the same wave in a vacuum. This can be done using specialized equipment, such as a time domain reflectometer.

5. Is velocity factor a constant value for all materials?

No, velocity factor is not a constant value and can vary depending on the material and the frequency of the electromagnetic wave. For example, the velocity factor for a material may be different at 1 GHz compared to 10 GHz. Additionally, different types of waves, such as radio waves or light waves, may have different velocity factors in the same material.