Velocity due to increasing mass

In summary, the initial speed of a 50kg car is 10m/s and its mass increases to 70kg. The equation of kinetic energy can possibly be used to determine the speed of the car, but considering the lack of information, conservation of momentum may be a more appropriate equation to use in this scenario.
fondrika

Homework Statement

if a 50kg car has a static speed of 10m/s, then what is it speed if the mass of the car increased by 20kg(so that the mass of the car now is 70kg)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what kind of equation should i use?
i was wondering if i can use the equation of kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fondrika! Welcome to PF :smile:

The question is a bit strange. It does not specify how the mass of the car increased, because it could be due to any reason like an inelastic collision, or that the mass was just placed on the car, was there an acceleration(impulsive force) as the mass was increased? etc.

But just considering a mass added to the car without any external force acting on the car in the direction of its motion, I would probably use conservation of momentum.

Related to Velocity due to increasing mass

What is "velocity due to increasing mass"?

Velocity due to increasing mass refers to the change in an object's velocity as its mass increases. This can occur when an external force is applied to the object, causing it to accelerate.

How does mass affect velocity?

In general, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This means that a larger mass will have a lower velocity compared to a smaller mass, assuming the same amount of force is applied.

What is the formula for calculating velocity due to increasing mass?

The formula for calculating velocity due to increasing mass is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Can velocity due to increasing mass be negative?

Yes, velocity due to increasing mass can be negative if the object is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. This would result in a decrease in velocity as the mass increases.

What are some real-life examples of velocity due to increasing mass?

Some examples of velocity due to increasing mass include a rocket launching into space, a car accelerating with more passengers or cargo, or a person on a swing gaining speed as they pump their legs.