Velocity Charged Particle between Parallel Plates

In summary, the student was trying to solve for the velocity of a negative charged object and was confused because the equation did not work. The student was also confused about what to do to fix the equation.
ItsTheSebbe

Homework Statement

7dc20edd5e.jpg

Can't really find out b, probably due to a mistake in a. Was wondering what I did wrong.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations of motion, w/ constant a
##F=qE##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(a)
##E=\frac {\Delta V} {\Delta d}= \frac {V_R-V_L} {L} = \frac {V_0}{L} ##
##F=qE=q \frac {V_0} {L}##
##a=\frac F m =\frac {qV_0} {mL}##
##L=\frac 1 2 a t^2= \frac 1 2 \frac {qV_0} {mL} t^2 \rightarrow t=\sqrt {\frac {2mL^2} {qV_0}}##
##v=at=\frac {qV_0} {mL} \sqrt {\frac {2mL^2} {qV_0}}##

(b)
This is where I'm confused, since filling in a negative charge in this equation will cause solutions for the velocity to be imaginary, which well... Doesn't really work. That makes me guess that the equation is wrong.

(c)
from part (a):
##t=\sqrt {\frac {2mL^2} {qV_0}}##PS: sidequestion, how could I format those equations better, as they seem too cramped for my liking? I know you can use $$'s, but that makes the lines spread out too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field is a vector, and as such has a direction associated with it. When you calculate the force as F = qE there are assumptions being made about how the direction of E relates to your chosen coordinate system.

Make a sketch that includes a vector showing the direction of E when your ##V_o## is greater than zero. What sign should you give E to make it correspond to your choice of coordinate directions?

Well since ##V_0=V_R-V_L## and ##V_0>0## The potential in ##V_R## should be higher than in ##V_L## so we'de get an homogeneous electric field from ##V_R## to ##V_L## like this:
fd243b07eb.png

Since the charge will go in the direction of the electric field if q is positive, shouldn't we just take a positive sign?

ItsTheSebbe said:
Since the charge will go in the direction of the electric field if q is positive, shouldn't we just take a positive sign?
So if q is positive it will be accelerated to the left, correct? The electric field is pointing to the left. That's a negative acceleration for your coordinate system (which you didn't indicate but I assume the positive x-direction is to the right).

In the above setup a negative charge would be attracted to (accelerate towards) the positive plate.

If you want your "E" to reflect the fact that it points along the negative x-axis direction, you need to give it a negative sign.

Aah, that makes sense. However that leads me to another problem, not being able to find a real value for the time:

##\vec E=\frac {\Delta V} {\Delta d} \hat d=- \frac {V_R-V_L} {L} =- \frac {V_0}{L} ##
##\vec F=q \vec E=-q \frac {V_0} {L}##
##\vec a=\frac {\vec F} {m} =-\frac {qV_0} {mL}##
##L=\frac 1 2 \vec a t^2=- \frac 1 2 \frac {qV_0} {mL} t^2 \rightarrow t^2=-\frac {2mL^2} {qV_0}##

It's not a problem if q is negative. If q is positive the time will have an imaginary solution since a positive charge would never reach the right hand plate.

Likes ItsTheSebbe
ooh, yeah that does make sense, therefore it needs to negatively charged. I was failing to see the connection between the image and the formula. Thanks!

Related to Velocity Charged Particle between Parallel Plates

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a charged particle between parallel plates?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a charged particle between parallel plates is v = (E/q) * d, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, q is the charge of the particle, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. How does the charge of the particle affect its velocity between parallel plates?

The charge of the particle directly affects its velocity between parallel plates. A higher charge will result in a higher velocity, while a lower charge will result in a lower velocity.

3. What is the direction of the velocity of a charged particle between parallel plates?

The direction of the velocity of a charged particle between parallel plates will depend on the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is positive, the particle will move towards the positively charged plate, and if the electric field is negative, the particle will move towards the negatively charged plate.

4. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the velocity of a charged particle?

The distance between the parallel plates has a direct impact on the velocity of a charged particle. As the distance increases, the velocity decreases, and as the distance decreases, the velocity increases. This is because a larger distance means a weaker electric field, while a shorter distance means a stronger electric field.

5. Can the velocity of a charged particle between parallel plates be affected by anything other than the electric field?

Yes, the velocity of a charged particle between parallel plates can also be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields or other charged particles. These external factors can alter the direction or magnitude of the electric field, thus affecting the velocity of the particle.