Velocity changes when force applied perpendicular

In summary, when a force is applied perpendicular to an object's velocity, the magnitude of the velocity in the original direction will not change, but the speed in the new direction can change. This can be seen in the example of a man cycling north being hit by a car traveling east, where the man's velocity changes in both direction and speed after the collision. In uniform circular motion, the velocity changes as the direction of the object changes, and this change is caused by the centripetal force acting on the object. The centrifugal force is a pseudo-force that appears to act on the object due to its motion in a rotating frame of reference. To understand this concept in more detail, one can look at the resultant of the forces acting
asmnath

Homework Statement

velocity changes when force applied perpendicular

i can't understand a simple question.
can u help me
what i know is that speed in short its magnitude does not change when force is applied perpendicular.its direction only changes so does the velocity.
what i don't understand is how do this velocity changes direction when we apply force perpendicular.can u tell me any proof or in detail about how they are related.
also can u tell me in uniform circular motion how velocity changes and what exactly is centripetal force and centrifugal force.

please tell me in detail like some proof u see
when they are pependiulcar we calculate resultant and still it doesn't change anything like that

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
what i know is that speed in short its magnitude does not change when force is applied perpendicular

That's not quite correct. The component in the original direction won't change but the speed in the new direction can change.

Consider a man cycling north at 5 mph when he is hit by a car traveling east at 50mph. He bounces off the car goes flying through the air. The man will end up traveling in a new direction (slightly north of east) and considerably faster than 5mph. However the northerly component of his new velocity will still be 5mph (assuming no friction between him and the car during the collision).

Related to Velocity changes when force applied perpendicular

1. What is the relationship between velocity and force applied perpendicular?

The relationship between velocity and force applied perpendicular is known as centripetal force. When a force is applied perpendicular to an object's velocity, it causes the object to move in a circular path. The magnitude of the force determines the speed at which the object will travel in the circular path.

2. How does the direction of force affect the velocity change?

The direction of the force applied perpendicular has a significant impact on the velocity change. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will increase the speed of the object. On the other hand, if the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed of the object.

3. What happens to velocity when the force applied perpendicular is constant?

If the force applied perpendicular is constant, the velocity of the object will also be constant. This is because the object will continue to move in a circular path at a constant speed due to the constant force acting on it.

4. Can velocity change when no force is applied perpendicular?

No, velocity cannot change when no force is applied perpendicular. In order for velocity to change, there must be a force acting on the object in a direction perpendicular to its velocity. Without this force, the object will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the velocity change when force is applied perpendicular?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the velocity change when force is applied perpendicular. However, a heavier object may require a greater force to achieve the same velocity change as a lighter object. This is due to the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration, as described by Newton's Second Law.