Velocity at Piston P and angular velocity of link HP help

In summary, the slider crank mechanism has a crank GH 10cm long, the connecting rod HP is 50cm. The crank makes an angle of 60 degree with the inner dead center position and is rotating at 110 rev/min. The velocity of the piston is 1.15ms^-1 and the angular velocity of the link HP is 60 degrees.
bobmarly12345

Homework Statement

The instantaneous configuration of a slider crank mechanism has a crank GH 10cm long, the connecting rod HP is 50cm. The crank makes an angle of 60 degree with the inner dead centre position and is rotating at 110 rev/min. Determine the velocity of the piston P and the angular velocity of the link HP.

cannot find any simliar examples in textbooks or online which will help me with this question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Really have no idea where to start but I've made a start whether its right i don't know.

Right, first off I've converted the 110rev/min=w into 11.5Rads/s
so w=11.5Rads/s
i then assumed you had to find the velocity at H in order to find the velocity at P
so Velocity at H = (Wgh) X gh
Vh = 11.5rads/s X 0.1m
= 1.15ms^-1

(i don't know if that is correct for starters & how i use that to find the velocity at P then the angular velocity at HP, please help?)

Attachments

• gfhgfdgfdgd.png
    gfhgfdgfdgd.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 556
Physics news on Phys.org
Before putting all the numbers in, I would label the length of the crankshaft ##c##, and the radius of the wheel ##r##, the distance ##PG = x##. Then write an equation giving ##x## in terms of the angle of rotation ##\theta##. Solve the equations you need before plugging in numbers.

i have an idea of what you mean but I'm still quite lost

You are going to have to show some effort. Drop a perpendicular down from H to the horizontal axis. That breaks ##x## into two legs of right triangles. You should be able to use trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem to express ##x## in terms of the angle of rotation ##\theta## and the other constants ##r## and ##c##. Ultimately, the velocity of the piston will be ##\frac{dx}{dt}##.

would this formula work, [ -rw(cos(60)+((sin2(60)/(2xsqrt(n²-sin²(60)))) ]
where n = L/R
i get a negative value when i use it, the piston is moving in the negative direction.

I'm sorry, but since you don't seem to care about my suggestions, I am resigning from this problem.

Related to Velocity at Piston P and angular velocity of link HP help

1. What is the relationship between velocity at piston P and angular velocity of link HP?

The velocity at piston P and angular velocity of link HP are directly related. As the angular velocity of link HP increases, the velocity at piston P also increases. This is because the motion of the piston is dependent on the rotation of the link. Therefore, a higher angular velocity results in a higher velocity at piston P.

2. How can the velocity at piston P be calculated?

The velocity at piston P can be calculated using the equation v = ω * r, where v is the velocity at piston P, ω is the angular velocity of link HP, and r is the distance between the center of rotation of the link and the location of piston P. This equation follows from the definition of angular velocity as the rate of change of angular displacement.

3. Can the angular velocity of link HP be changed?

Yes, the angular velocity of link HP can be changed by altering the rotational speed of the link. This can be done by changing the driving force or by varying the gear ratio in a mechanical system. In an electrical system, the angular velocity can be changed by adjusting the frequency of the power source.

4. Why is the velocity at piston P important?

The velocity at piston P is important because it affects the overall performance of a system. In engines, for example, a higher velocity at piston P results in a higher power output and better efficiency. In other systems, the velocity at piston P may affect the accuracy or speed of a process.

5. How does the velocity at piston P impact the motion of other components?

The velocity at piston P can impact the motion of other components in a system. For example, in a reciprocating engine, the velocity at piston P affects the motion of the connecting rod and crankshaft. A higher velocity at piston P results in a faster rotation of these components, which can affect the overall speed and power of the engine.