Velocity and Time of Ball Leaving Spring on Tray

In summary: Now I need to find the time and velocity at that point.In summary, the problem involves a 1.60 kg tray attached to a vertical spring with a force constant of 200 N/m and a .3 kg ball on the tray. The tray is pushed down .149 meters below its equilibrium point, released from rest, and oscillates up-and-down. At approximately .242 meters above point A, the ball will lose contact with the spring. The goal is to find the time and velocity at that point, using the equations x=Acos(w*t) and Fx=-200*x-9.8. The tray will reach this point when the combined force from the weight of the tray and the stretched spring is greater than the force
Usern4me

Homework Statement

A 1.60 kg, horizontal, uniform tray is attached to a vertical ideal spring of force constant 200 N/m and a .3 kg metal ball is in the tray. The spring is below the tray, so it can oscillate up-and-down. The tray is then pushed down .149 meters below its equilibrium point to a point A and released from rest. At approximately .242 meters above point A the ball will lose contact with the spring, find the time this happens and the velocity of the ball at that time.

Homework Equations

x=Acos(w*t)

Fx=-200*x-9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

There was an earlier part of the question where you were supposed to find the height at which the ball leaves the tray and I thought that I could derive the time from that equation but I wasn't able to.

As for the velocity I tried taking the second integral of the acceleration, but that also led me to the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usern4me said:

Homework Statement

A 1.60 kg, horizontal, uniform tray is attached to a vertical ideal spring of force constant 200 N/m and a .3 kg metal ball is in the tray. The spring is below the tray, so it can oscillate up-and-down. The tray is then pushed down .149 meters below its equilibrium point to a point A and released from rest. At approximately .242 meters above point A the ball will lose contact with the spring, find the time this happens and the velocity of the ball at that time.

Homework Equations

x=Acos(w*t)

Fx=-200*x-9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

There was an earlier part of the question where you were supposed to find the height at which the ball leaves the tray and I thought that I could derive the time from that equation but I wasn't able to.

As for the velocity I tried taking the second integral of the acceleration, but that also led me to the wrong answer.

OK to give you a guide as to what is going on.

Suppose we just had the an empty tray. Suppose also that the weight of the tray would compress the spring say 5cm.
The most common application we come across is to press that tray down a further, perhaps, 3 cm and release it.
When released, the tray will then oscillate with SHM with an amplitude 3 cm.

Suppose instead, that tray was pressed down not just an extra 3 cm, but an extra 10 cm.
The oscillation would now be very violent, and if we had failed to attach the tray to the spring, it would fly off into the air.

At its highest point, the [now stretched] spring would be pulling the tray down. The combined effect of the weight of the tray, plus the pull from the spring may supply a force of sufficient size that the tray is accelerating down at a rate higher than g [9.8].
If that were the case, and the tray had an unattached ball on it, the ball would leave the tray, since it would be accelerating down at only 9.8, like any object in free fall.

In this problem you have to find where the tray is when that condition is reached, and how fast the tray is traveling at the time.

PeterO said:
At its highest point, the [now stretched] spring would be pulling the tray down. The combined effect of the weight of the tray, plus the pull from the spring may supply a force of sufficient size that the tray is accelerating down at a rate higher than g [9.8].
If that were the case, and the tray had an unattached ball on it, the ball would leave the tray, since it would be accelerating down at only 9.8, like any object in free fall.

In this problem you have to find where the tray is when that condition is reached, and how fast the tray is traveling at the time.

I already found out that that condition is reached about .242 meters above Point A.

Related to Velocity and Time of Ball Leaving Spring on Tray

What is a "Ball on a Spring on a Tray" experiment?

A "Ball on a Spring on a Tray" experiment is a physics demonstration used to study the motion of a spring and a ball under different conditions. It typically involves a ball attached to a spring, which is in turn attached to a tray or platform. The tray can be tilted or moved to observe the effects on the ball's motion.

What is the purpose of the "Ball on a Spring on a Tray" experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to investigate the relationship between the forces acting on the ball and the resulting motion. It can also be used to study the properties of a spring, such as its elasticity and period of oscillation.

What are the key components of the "Ball on a Spring on a Tray" experiment?

The key components of the experiment are a ball, a spring, and a tray or platform. Other materials such as a measuring tape or ruler may also be used to collect data. Additionally, the experiment requires a stable surface and a controlled environment to ensure accurate results.

What factors affect the motion of the ball in the "Ball on a Spring on a Tray" experiment?

Several factors can affect the motion of the ball, including the angle of the tray, the amplitude of the spring's oscillation, and the force applied to the spring. Other factors such as air resistance and the mass of the ball may also have an impact on its motion.

What can be learned from the "Ball on a Spring on a Tray" experiment?

The experiment can help us understand the principles of energy, force, and motion. It can also be used to explore concepts such as potential and kinetic energy, simple harmonic motion, and the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Additionally, the experiment can be used to make predictions and test hypotheses about the behavior of objects in motion.