Velocity and accleration of a particle

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the velocity and acceleration at any given time.
nick227

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a curve whose equations are:
x=3e^(-2t)
y=4sin3t
z=5cos3t
where t is the time.
a) Find the velocity and acceleration at any time.
b) Find the magnitudes of the velocity and acceleration at time t=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the velocity is d/dt of the position and acceleration is d/dt of velocity. How can i find the velocity? If i take the derivative of all three functions, i will get three different velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the magnitude of a vector related to it's components?

Dick said:
How is the magnitude of a vector related to it's components?

the magnitude is the square root of the components squared.

Right! So apply that to the velocity and acceleration vectors to get the magnitude.The three different velocities and accelerations are components of vectors.

Dick said:
Right! So apply that to the velocity and acceleration vectors to get the magnitude.The three different velocities and accelerations are components of vectors.

so i find the velocities. then i have three different velocities, but i can't find the magnitude if i don't find velocity for a certain t.
v(x)= -6e^(-2t)
v(y)= 12cos3t
v(z)=-15sin3t

a(x)=12e^(-2t)
a(y)=-36sin3t
a(z)=-45cos3t

now what...?

Ordinarily, I would just say find the magnitudes as a function of t. But your problem says find them at t=0.

Dick said:
Ordinarily, I would just say find the magnitudes as a function of t. But your problem says find them at t=0.

well i can do part b with t=0. what about part a? i mean i have three different velocities and three different accelerations. for velocity, if i take the three components and square them then add them and find the square root, that gives the speed. its not a velocity at any time t. I'm assuming for part a, i need just one equation for velocity and one for acceleration.

nick227 said:
so i find the velocities. then i have three different velocities, but i can't find the magnitude if i don't find velocity for a certain t.
v(x)= -6e^(-2t)
v(y)= 12cos3t
v(z)=-15sin3t

a(x)=12e^(-2t)
a(y)=-36sin3t
a(z)=-45cos3t

now what...?

Your vector v above is the velocity at any time t. If you want a specific time then plug it in but if they say for ANY t, then that's the answer. Ditto for a.

Dick said:
Your vector v above is the velocity at any time t. If you want a specific time then plug it in but if they say for ANY t, then that's the answer. Ditto for a.

aren't there three vectors? three different equations for v? don't they want only one equation for velocity? and one for acceleration?

No, there is one vector v(t)=(-6e^(-2t),12*cos(3t),-15sin(3t)). The vector has three components. You are done.

Dick said:
No, there is one vector v(t)=(-6e^(-2t),12*cos(3t),-15sin(3t)). The vector has three components. You are done.

Oh! Well i am done with this problem. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Related to Velocity and accleration of a particle

1. How is velocity defined?

Velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving, without taking into account its direction. Velocity, on the other hand, includes both speed and direction, making it a vector quantity.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated as the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of a particle?

The acceleration of a particle can be affected by several factors, including the net force acting on the particle, the mass of the particle, and the direction of the force relative to the particle's motion.

5. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are related by the derivative of velocity with respect to time. This means that the change in velocity over time is equal to the acceleration of the object. In other words, acceleration determines how much an object's velocity changes over time.