Velocity and Acceleration - Verbal Response

In summary, the car can have a westward velocity and an eastward acceleration simultaneously, as long as it is slowing down in the westward direction. It is important to pay attention to the direction and sign of velocity and acceleration to properly understand the motion of an object.
razored

Homework Statement

An automobile is traveling west. Can it have a velocity toward the west and at the same time have an acceleration toward the east? Under what circumstances.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote "Yes, the car can be moving west and speeding up with a positive velocity (assuming west is the positive x-axis) and at the same time having a negative acceleration towards the east."

Does my response answer the question? I am having a hard time with this. Can anyone assist me or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks beforehand.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have the correct grasp on velocity and acceleration. I would just be careful about using the wording "speeding up," as it seems to imply changing/increasing velocity when really in your case the car is slowing down, as it has an acceleration to the east

Yes, your response does answer the question correctly. It is possible for an object to have a velocity in one direction and an acceleration in the opposite direction. This can happen if the object is changing its velocity, but still moving in the same direction. In this case, the car is moving west, but its velocity is increasing in the positive direction (west) while its acceleration is acting in the negative direction (east). This could occur if the car is slowing down while still moving west. It is important to remember that velocity and acceleration are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction, so they can act in different directions at the same time.

Related to Velocity and Acceleration - Verbal Response

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, while acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How are velocity and acceleration related?

Velocity and acceleration are related by the derivative of position. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so it is the derivative of velocity with respect to time. This means that if we know an object's velocity at a certain time, we can determine its acceleration at that same time by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

3. Can an object have a constant velocity and a changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and a changing acceleration. This can happen when an object is moving at a constant speed in a circular path, as the direction of its velocity is constantly changing due to the curvature of the path.

4. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration from a position-time graph?

Velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the position-time graph at a specific point. Acceleration can be calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the velocity-time graph at a specific point.

5. What are some real-life examples of velocity and acceleration?

Some examples of velocity include the speed of a car on a highway, the velocity of a ball being thrown, or the speed of a runner in a race. Examples of acceleration include the acceleration of a rocket taking off, the acceleration of a car when the driver presses the gas pedal, or the acceleration of a person jumping off a diving board.