Vehicle's RPM do not match speed. Why?

In summary: The speed at which the engine turns and the speed at which the driving wheels turn is related by the combination of gear ratio in the transmission and the gear ration in the differential. Gear ratios in the differential generally fall in the range of about 2.5:1 to 3.5:1, but they can range as high as 4.5:1 for cars designed for quick acceleration without regard to fuel economy.The purpose of the transmission is to keep the engine operating at a band of RPMs where it is most fuel efficient. When the transmission shifts into its drive configuration, the gear ratio thru the transmission is 1:1, but with overdrive transmissions, this ratio could be as low as 0.8:
Psinter
I've been observing cars RPM and noticed that automatic transmission American cars reach 60 mph at 2250 RPM while automatic transmission Japanese cars reach 60mph at 2500RPM.

Why is that? Like, what determines RPMs? The rotation from what is being measured?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only thing more surprising the transmissions being different is if they were all the same. I would suppose the automotive engineers select or design a transmission that provides the power transfer ratios that match the engine to be used.

The tachometer measures the RPMs of the engine, which will absolutely have a different relationship with the car's speed depending on the engine, transmission, or even size of the tires.

The speed at which the engine turns and the speed at which the driving wheels turn is related by the combination of gear ratio in the transmission and the gear ration in the differential. Gear ratios in the differential generally fall in the range of about 2.5:1 to 3.5:1, but they can range as high as 4.5:1 for cars designed for quick acceleration without regard to fuel economy.

The purpose of the transmission is to keep the engine operating at a band of RPMs where it is most fuel efficient. When the transmission shifts into its drive configuration, the gear ratio thru the transmission is 1:1, but with overdrive transmissions, this ratio could be as low as 0.8:1. Different cars have different engines, transmissions, and final drive gear ratios, which is why the engines do not turn at the same RPM for the same road speed.

Likes 1 person
Psinter said:
I've been observing cars RPM and noticed that automatic transmission American cars reach 60 mph at 2250 RPM while automatic transmission Japanese cars reach 60mph at 2500RPM.

Why is that? Like, what determines RPMs? The rotation from what is being measured?

There's probably quite a bit more spread even than that - some cars might be doing less than 2000rpm at 60mph (especially high performance cars with big engines), while others might be doing over 3000rpm at 60 (cars with relatively small engines for example). It's not really a matter of where the car was made/designed, it's more just a design tradeoff depending on the engine and the desired characteristics of the car.

SteamKing said:
The speed at which the engine turns and the speed at which the driving wheels turn is related by the combination of gear ratio in the transmission and the gear ration in the differential. Gear ratios in the differential generally fall in the range of about 2.5:1 to 3.5:1, but they can range as high as 4.5:1 for cars designed for quick acceleration without regard to fuel economy.

The purpose of the transmission is to keep the engine operating at a band of RPMs where it is most fuel efficient. When the transmission shifts into its drive configuration, the gear ratio thru the transmission is 1:1, but with overdrive transmissions, this ratio could be as low as 0.8:1. Different cars have different engines, transmissions, and final drive gear ratios, which is why the engines do not turn at the same RPM for the same road speed.
Thanks, this clears it up.

cjl said:
There's probably quite a bit more spread even than that - some cars might be doing less than 2000rpm at 60mph (especially high performance cars with big engines), while others might be doing over 3000rpm at 60 (cars with relatively small engines for example). It's not really a matter of where the car was made/designed, it's more just a design tradeoff depending on the engine and the desired characteristics of the car.
< than 2000 at 60??! I would love to have a vehicle like that. :!)

Psinter said:
< than 2000 at 60??! I would love to have a vehicle like that. :!)
Get a diesel or a truck. Heck, my Kia Optima is at 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Not sure why you would care, though; it doesn't really mean anything.

russ_watters said:
Get a diesel or a truck. Heck, my Kia Optima is at 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Not sure why you would care, though; it doesn't really mean anything.

I should do that then. I'm assuming less RPM means more silence, but I may be wrong. It does mean something to me if it makes less sound. I like silent vehicles.

You certainly don't want a diesel then.
Quiet = refinement = expense.
Turn the radio up and have done.

Also depends what you mean by quiet, at 60mph cruise combustion noise has a decent amount of masking from road and wind noise.

Last edited:
Psinter said:
< than 2000 at 60 mph
2006 -> 2013 Corvette Z06 7.0 liter engine - 1500 rpm at 70 mph in 6th gear. Dodge Viper, 8.0+ liter engines, maybe even lower. Don't know about the 2014 Corvettes, 6.2 liter engine, and now 7 speed manual tranny. There will be a 2015 Corvette Z06, but it will be more like the previous ZR1, using a 600+ hp supercharged 6.2 liter engine.

Related to Vehicle's RPM do not match speed. Why?

1. What could be causing my vehicle's RPM to not match its speed?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty speedometer, transmission problems, engine issues, or a malfunctioning sensor.

2. Is it safe to drive my vehicle if the RPM and speed do not match?

It is not recommended to drive your vehicle if the RPM and speed do not match. This could indicate a serious problem with your vehicle that could potentially lead to a breakdown or accident.

3. How can I diagnose the problem with my vehicle's RPM and speed?

The best way to diagnose the issue is to take your vehicle to a mechanic or use a diagnostic tool to check for any error codes. They will be able to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.

4. Can a simple tune-up fix the issue with my vehicle's RPM and speed?

In some cases, a simple tune-up can fix the issue if it is related to a dirty air filter, spark plugs, or other minor engine problems. However, if the issue persists, it is best to get it checked by a professional.

5. Is it normal for my vehicle's RPM to fluctuate while driving?

It is normal for the RPM to slightly fluctuate while driving, especially when accelerating or decelerating. However, if the RPM consistently does not match the speed, it could indicate an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.