Vectors: How to Calculate Resultant Velocity and Direction in a Crosswind?

• Thread starter max1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the object is traveling eastward at a speed of 500 ms-1 and flies into a 90ms-1 crosswind blowing southward. The resultant velocity of the plane relative to the object is calculated to be 508ms-1 at 79.8 degrees to the ground. To maintain a resultant velocity of 500ms-1 in the eastward direction, the person steering the plane would need to adjust the direction to 33.53 degrees to the north at a speed of 491.83 km h-1. This is based on the assumption that the reference direction is north and angles are measured counterclockwise.
max1995
Question
An object is traveling eastward at a speed of 500 ms-1 flies into a 90ms-1 crosswind blowing southward.
a) calculate the resultant velocity of the plane relative to the object as it flies through the crosswind.

b) A person is steering the object, calculate the direction the person would have to steer in order for the resultant velocity off the plane to remain eastward.

My attempt

a) Magnitude of R=squareroot(902+5002)
= 508ms-1

Direction= tan-1(90/500) = 10.2
90-10.2= 79.8

Resultant= 508ms-1 at 79.8 degrees to the ground

b) don't know what to do, would you please be able to help me on this one? I don't really understand what it wants me to do

Thanks for any help you can give

Physics news on Phys.org
Plane? Taxiing? Parked? Sitting in a hangar? Are the "plane" and the "object" one and the same?

Bystander said:
Plane? Taxiing? Parked? Sitting in a hangar? Are the "plane" and the "object" one and the same?
Sorry missed the bit at the bottom its a plane

Make a drawing for case a)
Make a drawing for the case b)

Bump still don't know how to do part b

For b) you want the plane/object moving at 500m/s to travel true east while the wind is blowing S at 90 m/s. What velocity N is necessary to offset the wind? What velocity E combined with that gives you a 500 m/s resultant air speed?

Bystander said:
For b) you want the plane/object moving at 500m/s to travel true east while the wind is blowing S at 90 m/s. What velocity N is necessary to offset the wind? What velocity E combined with that gives you a 500 m/s resultant air speed?

Thank you for the help
so I want to find a velocity (with angle north) that will give me 500km h-1 east?

if what I said above is right, I would

500= sqaureroot(902 +X2) then doing some rearranging and calculating

X= 491.83 km h-1

then to work out the direction would do

500= 90 + 491.83cos(y)
y= cos-1(410/491.83)
y= 33.53 degrees to the eastward

therefore the direction and speed that the plane would need to travel is 491.83km h-1 at an angle of 33.53 degrees to the eastwood?

is that correct

thank you again for the help

max1995 said:
(snip)

500= sqaureroot(902 +X2) then doing some rearranging and calculating

X= 491.83 km h-1

My calculator just cratered --- I'll take your word --- it looks close.

max1995 said:
then to work out the direction would do

500= 90 + 491.83cos(y)

No. BvU suggested you make drawings. Which part of the right triangle is 500 for this part of the problem? Keep in mind that part b) may be different than part a).

Bystander said:
My calculator just cratered --- I'll take your word --- it looks close.
No. BvU suggested you make drawings. Which part of the right triangle is 500 for this part of the problem? Keep in mind that part b) may be different than part a).

so the 500 is the resultant? making 491.83=500sin(y)?? and this makes y to the north?

is that correct

Last edited:
max1995 said:
so the 500 is the resultant? making 491.83=500sin(y)?? so then y is the angle to the north?

iis that correct

Yes. And yes, or cos(y), whichever you prefer. You measure angles from a reference direction in either clockwise (navigation), or counterclockwise (right handed coordinate systems in mathematics) direction; what reference direction are you using, and are you measuring cw or ccw?

Related to Vectors: How to Calculate Resultant Velocity and Direction in a Crosswind?

1. What is a vector in terms of physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

2. What are some examples of vectors?

Some examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, force, and acceleration. These are all physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

3. How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors can be represented mathematically using coordinates or components. In a two-dimensional space, a vector can be represented as (x, y) where x and y are the components of the vector in the x and y direction respectively. In a three-dimensional space, a vector can be represented as (x, y, z) where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in the x, y, and z direction respectively.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a physical quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

5. How are vectors used in real life?

Vectors are used in several real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, in navigation, vectors are used to represent the direction and speed of a moving object. In engineering, vectors are used to represent forces acting on a structure. In physics, vectors are used to describe the motion of objects and the forces acting on them.