What is the Difference Between 'To Like' and 'To Please' in Spanish?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the Spanish verb "gustar" and the English verb "to like." While the two may seem similar, there is a subtle difference in meaning. In Spanish, "gustar" means "to please" and places the emphasis on the object rather than the subject. This is different from English, where the subject is the one performing the action of liking. The conversation also touches on the idea of semantics and how language can shape our perceptions and attitudes towards things.
Imparcticle
According to my Spanish book, "Gustar" is defined as "to like". According to my spanish teacher, "Gustar" should be defined as "To please". According to the dictionary, both "to like" and "to please" are essentially analogous. I pointed this out to him (my Spanish teacher), and he said they are different. I respect my teacher; he is very talented in semantics and philosophy. I would like to see the error I have made in my analysis. Can someone please point it out to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i am thinking this is more of a homework question then a philosophy question?

Think of the difference between "I like chocolate" and "Chocolate pleases me."

They're close -- either way I end up fat & happy. But in the first case, I'm the active one, I'm "doing" the liking. The chocolate just lies there waiting for me. In the second case it's the chocolate that's active. I just lie there and the chocolate does it's thing.

You can replace the chocolate with whatever pleases you. :wink:

Mmm...

And "gustar" is the second one.

cookiemonster

It just happens that in spanish, you don't like things -- things please you. Deal with it.

- Warren

gnome said:
Think of the difference between "I like chocolate" and "Chocolate pleases me."

They're close -- either way I end up fat & happy. But in the first case, I'm the active one, I'm "doing" the liking. The chocolate just lies there waiting for me. In the second case it's the chocolate that's active. I just lie there and the chocolate does it's thing.

You can replace the chocolate with whatever pleases you. :wink:

Mmm...

Oh, I see now. Thank you. Very cool, I must say.

What is "The Spanish Verb Gustar"?

The Spanish verb gustar means "to like" or "to be pleasing to" and is used to express likes and dislikes.

How is "The Spanish Verb Gustar" conjugated?

The verb gustar is conjugated differently than most verbs in Spanish. It is conjugated based on the thing or things that are liked or disliked, rather than the person doing the liking. For example, "I like ice cream" would be "Me gusta el helado" in Spanish.

Can "The Spanish Verb Gustar" be used with plural nouns?

Yes, gustar can be used with both singular and plural nouns. It is important to remember to use the correct form of the verb based on the thing or things being liked or disliked.

What are the indirect object pronouns used with "The Spanish Verb Gustar"?

The indirect object pronouns used with gustar are me, te, le, nos, os, and les. These indicate who likes or dislikes the thing or things being mentioned.

Are there any other verbs that are conjugated like "The Spanish Verb Gustar"?

Yes, there are other verbs that are conjugated like gustar, such as encantar, disgustar, and fascinar. These verbs also express likes and dislikes based on the thing or things being mentioned.