Vectors & Frames Qs: Galilean & Lorentz Transforms

In summary: The components are different, I know that the lengths of the vectors are the same, regardless of rotation or translation but assuming Galilean relativity, shouldn't velocity vectors not be equal in both frames? Does that mean velocity is not a four component vector? If not, why not? if so, why?As @vela said, you need to include the basis vectors. The basis vectors in one frame can each be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors in another frame. The coordinate transformation, by design, takes the coordinates in one frame and returns the coordinates of the exact same vector in the other frame. The vector itself is the same vector in both frames.If and only if I applied the
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

Imagine there exists reference two frames, a frame O which is stationary and another, O' moving relative to O. If there is a four vector A--> (A0,A1,A2,A3). Then why is Aae->a as measured by the observer O equal to Aa'e->a' as measured by the observer O'?

The components are different, I know that the lengths of the vectors are the same, regardless of rotation or translation but assuming Galilean relativity, shouldn't velocity vectors not be equal in both frames? Does that mean velocity is not a four component vector? If not, why not? if so, why?

so if I applied the Lorentz transformation, Aa'e->a' = Λba'Abea', why is that important?

Are the vectors equal if and only if I applied the Lorentz transformation? If so why? if not? why not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is not a four-vector because it doesn't take into account time dilation. The four-velocity is
##\frac{d\vec{x}}{d\tau}## where ##\tau## is the proper time.

Mathematicsresear said:
Are the vectors equal if and only if I applied the Lorentz transformation? If so why? if not? why not?

I don't understand this part of your question. In some cases a four-vector corresponds to an event in space-time. That event is the same in all frames of reference (in all coordinate systems) although the components with respect to different coordinate systems are different.

You have to transform the basis vectors as well.

Mathematicsresear said:
The components are different, I know that the lengths of the vectors are the same, regardless of rotation or translation but assuming Galilean relativity, shouldn't velocity vectors not be equal in both frames?
As @vela said, you need to include the basis vectors. The basis vectors in one frame can each be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors in another frame. The coordinate transformation, by design, takes the coordinates in one frame and returns the coordinates of the exact same vector in the other frame. The vector itself is the same vector in both frames.

Likes Pencilvester
On a 2d plane, you can draw a vector as an arrow, and write it as ##v=v^x\mathbf i+v^y\mathbf j##. That's interpreted as "move ##v^x## times the length of ##\mathbf i## in the direction of ##\mathbf i## and ##v^y## times the length of ##\mathbf j## in the direction of ##\mathbf j##". This is simply a rather long-winded version of ##v=v^ie_i##.

But there's no obligation to use any particular set of basis vectors. You could decide that instead of ##\mathbf i## and ##\mathbf j## you would prefer to use ##\mathbf k## and ##\mathbf l##. Then your vector can be written as ##v=v^{x'}\mathbf k+v^{y'}\mathbf l##. This is a long-winded way of writing ##v=v^{a'}e_{a'}##. It's still the same vector, though. All you did was change your description of it.

As others have noted, you can transform your basis vectors too - write ##\mathbf k## and ##\mathbf l## in terms of ##\mathbf i## and ##\mathbf j##. Your expression is correct, but it's a bit odd in this context to express components as an explicit transform from O to O' but leave the basis vectors in terms of O'.

You are correct that Galilean relativity does not preserve the lengths of vectors. I think this is because they feature time derivatives, and time is not a part of the vector space (like the time-like basis vector in relativity) nor is it an affine parameter (like proper time). But in Einsteinian relativity, everything of interest is a geometric object of some kind in a 4d vector space. So everything behaves like (a more complicated version of) the vectors on my 2d plane.

Ibix said:
I think this is because they feature time derivatives, and time is not a part of the vector space (like the time-like basis vector in relativity) nor is it an affine parameter (like proper time).
Time certainly is a part of Galilean spacetime and you need the transformation of the time basis vector in order to get the transformation properties correctly. For example, the Galilei transformation of the basis vectors are ##\vec e_t' = \vec e_t + \vec v## and ##\vec e_i' = \vec e_i##. The 4-velocity of an object is given by ##\vec U = \vec e_t + \vec u##, where ##\vec u## is the 3-velocity in the unprimed frame. Expressing the unprimed basis vectors in the primed ones leads to
$$
\vec U = \vec e_t' - \vec v + \vec u
$$
and hence the 3-velocity in the primed frame is ##\vec u - \vec v## (as it should). The spatial metric that you use to determine the length of 3-vectors and the 3-vector corresponding to a 4-vector only has its magnitude conserved if the 4-vector has a time-component that is zero, e.g., the 4-acceleration is
$$
\vec A = \frac{d\vec U}{dt} = 0\vec e_t + \vec a = 0 \vec e_t' + \vec a.
$$
I guess my main point is that Galilean spacetime is also an affine space, just as Minkowski space or the Euclidean plane, and you can deal with basis transformations in precisely the same way. What differs is the additional structure you put on the different spaces.

Likes Ibix
Maybe page 37,38 of my thesis can help regarding the precise form of the Galilean transformations:

https://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/34926446/Complete_thesis.pdf

Maybe I'm missing the point, but Galilean boosts are fundamentally different from Lorentz boosts. Galilean boosts only transform spatial coordinates to time coordinates, but not the other way around! So you have to be very careful if you want to calculate how the inner product of two vectors transform under a Galilean boost.

haushofer said:
So you have to be very careful if you want to calculate how the inner product of two vectors transform under a Galilean boost.
To me the point is that Galilean spacetime does not have an inner product on its tangent space. The (spatial) inner product only cares about the spatial subspace.

haushofer said:
Galilean boosts only transform spatial coordinates to time coordinates, but not the other way around!
The fun part of this is that the exact opposite is true for the basis vectors. The spatial basis vectors remain spatial whereas the time basis of different inertial frames differ by a spatial vector.

Related to Vectors & Frames Qs: Galilean & Lorentz Transforms

What are vectors and frames?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are often used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. Frames, also known as reference frames, are coordinate systems used to describe the position and motion of objects.

What is the difference between Galilean and Lorentz transforms?

Galilean transforms are equations used to convert measurements from one inertial frame to another, assuming that the speed of light is infinite. Lorentz transforms, on the other hand, take into account the finite speed of light and the principles of special relativity. They are used to convert measurements between frames that are moving at high speeds relative to each other.

How do Galilean and Lorentz transforms affect the measurement of time and distance?

Galilean transforms do not affect the measurement of time and distance, as they assume that time and distance are absolute. However, Lorentz transforms show that time and distance are relative and are affected by the speed of the observer and the observed object. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

What is the significance of using Lorentz transforms in modern physics?

Lorentz transforms are essential in modern physics, particularly in the field of relativity. They allow us to understand and describe the behavior of objects at high speeds, which cannot be explained by classical mechanics. They also play a crucial role in the development of theories such as special relativity and the famous equation E=mc^2.

How are Galilean and Lorentz transforms used in practical applications?

Galilean transforms are used in everyday situations, such as converting measurements between different reference frames, while Lorentz transforms are used in more advanced applications, such as particle physics and space exploration. They are also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.