Vectors as Paths with measuring degrees

In summary, a hiker's trip consists of three segments: Path A is 6.0 km long heading 60.0° north of east, Path B is 6.0 km long in a direction due east, and Path C is 4.0 km long heading 315° counterclockwise from east. The magnitude and direction of the hiker's displacement when adding the paths in the order A, B, C can be found graphically, as well as when adding them in the order C, B, A. It is important to note that 315° counterclockwise from east is the same as 45° clockwise from east.
Ally385

Homework Statement

A hiker's trip consists of three segments. Path A is 6.0 km long heading 60.0° north of east. Path B is 6.0 km long in a direction due east. Path C is 4.0 km long heading 315° counterclockwise from east.
(a) Graphically add the hiker's displacements in the order A, B, C.
Magnitude of displacement and direction of displacement degrees counterclockwise from east.
(b) Graphically add the hiker's displacements in the order C, B, A.
Magnitude of displacement and direction of displacement degrees counterclockwise from east.

Homework Equations

asquared + bsquared = csquared?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I would just draw these paths out to scale and then just measure but I was wrong. I also don't understand what it means when it says counterclockwise from east.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ally385! :smile:
Ally385 said:
I thought that I would just draw these paths out to scale and then just measure

that should work :confused:
I also don't understand what it means when it says counterclockwise from east.

315° counterclockwise from east means the same as 45° clockwise from east :wink:

Maybe I was just measuring wrong.

And the 45 makes since. I was doing 315-180.

Thanks!

Related to Vectors as Paths with measuring degrees

What are vectors and how are they used in measuring degrees?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are often used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. In measuring degrees, vectors can be used to represent the direction and magnitude of an angle.

How do you represent a vector as a path?

A vector can be represented as a path by using arrows. The starting point of the arrow represents the origin of the vector, and the direction and length of the arrow represent the direction and magnitude of the vector. This allows for a visual representation of the vector as a path.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude (size) and no direction, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, time, and mass, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force. Scalar quantities can be added and subtracted using basic arithmetic, while vector quantities require more complex mathematical operations.

How do you measure the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be measured using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In other words, the magnitude of a vector can be calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of its individual components.

Can vectors be added and subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added and subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. When adding or subtracting vectors, their individual components (magnitude and direction) are taken into account to determine the resulting vector. This is an important tool in vector mathematics and is used in various scientific fields such as physics and engineering.