Vectors along surface of a sphere

In summary, you can find the unit vector that points "due north" by normalizing the vector that points in that direction along the sphere's surface.
Dissonance in E
I assume this is rather elementary so I'll be brief.

I have a point in an xyz coordinate system, this point is assumed to lie on the surface of a sphere with radius R. Suppose I know the coordinates of this point, how would I go about solving for the unitvectors pointing "due north", "due west", "due south" and "due east" along the surface of the sphere at this point ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a surface is parameterized by

[itex]\vec{f}(u, v) = \vec{r}[/itex]

then

[itex]\frac{\partial\vec{f}(u, v)}{\partial u}[/itex]

is a vector tangent to the surface in the u direction at that point

Normalizing such a vector will yield a unit vector.

Is there a way to solve the vectors using just a point on the axis and a unit vector towards the direction we want indicated ? I found something similar on the web, will this work?

"Let r2u be a unit vector from the center of the Earth's surface to
point 2. This unit vector is just a vector that's one unit long, but
pointing in the same direction as the vector r2. Let zu be the unit
vector in the z direction. Then you can construct a vector that
points "due north" along the Earth's surface from point 2 as:

north pointing vector = zu - (zu.r2u)r2u

The period in this expression connotes the scalar product of two
vectors. Similarly, a vector pointing along the Earth's surface from
point 2 toward point 1 (on a great circle) can be written as:

heading vector = r1u - (r1u.r2u)r2u
"

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52049.html

Let V = ai + bj + ck be the position vector to your point. Take the cross product
W = k cross V which will be perpendicular to both the k direction and your position vector V. Now take D = W cross V. This will be perpendicular to W, hence in the plane of k and V and it is perpendicular to V, so it is pointing either "North" or "South". Use D or -D, whichever has a positive z component.

ok so if i do something like this on matlab:

v = [3,3,3];
k = [0,0,1];
w = cross(k,v);
d = cross(w,v);
d = d/norm(d)

d =

0.4082 0.4082 -0.8165

i should get a unit vector d on point v that points towards point k ? will this work for arbitrary values of v & k ?

Dissonance in E said:
ok so if i do something like this on matlab:

v = [3,3,3];
k = [0,0,1];
w = cross(k,v);
d = cross(w,v);
d = d/norm(d)

d =

0.4082 0.4082 -0.8165

i should get a unit vector d on point v that points towards point k ? will this work for arbitrary values of v & k ?

The z component came out negative, so you want the opposite direction. But as I look at it more closely, if you let w = cross(v,k) instead of cross(k,v), you should get the right direction in the first place. To be sure you understand what the answer represents, if you draw the vector d with its tail at your original point on the sphere, d will be tangent to the sphere about the origin containing your original point and will point to the direction of the axis determined by the k vector, in this case the positive z axis.

All right, thanks a lot.

Related to Vectors along surface of a sphere

1. What is a vector along the surface of a sphere?

A vector along the surface of a sphere is a mathematical representation of a direction and magnitude on the surface of a sphere. It can be thought of as an arrow pointing in a specific direction on the curved surface of a sphere.

2. How is a vector along the surface of a sphere calculated?

A vector along the surface of a sphere is calculated using the longitude and latitude coordinates of the point on the sphere where the vector starts, as well as the direction and magnitude of the vector. This calculation involves trigonometry and can be complex.

3. What are the applications of vectors along the surface of a sphere?

Vectors along the surface of a sphere have many applications in physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces, map out flight paths for airplanes and spacecraft, and determine the position of objects on the Earth's surface.

4. How do vectors along the surface of a sphere differ from vectors in Euclidean space?

Vectors along the surface of a sphere differ from vectors in Euclidean space because they are not confined to a flat, two-dimensional plane. Instead, they are on a curved surface and must take into account the curvature of the sphere when calculating their direction and magnitude.

5. Are there any special properties of vectors along the surface of a sphere?

Yes, there are several special properties of vectors along the surface of a sphere. One important property is that their magnitude depends on the radius of the sphere, as well as the direction they are pointing. Additionally, vectors along the surface of a sphere are not commutative, meaning that the order in which they are added or subtracted matters.