Vectors- 4 Gr. 12 Questions - Equations of Line and Planes

That is, it must satisfy the equation for the line and the equation for the plane. The line, in vector form, is r= (1,-1,-2)+ t(-1,0,1). That crosses the plane where 4(4s)+ 2(2s)+ 1(1+ s)= 21. That is, 13s+ 1= 21 so s= 20/13. That point is (5.38, -0.15, -2.15). The line through (2,4,5) and (5.38, -0.15, -2.15) is (5.38- 2, -
crazycat23

Homework Statement

The point A(2,4,5) is reflected in the line with equation r = (0,0,1) + s(4,2,1) , sER, to give the point A'. Determine the co-ordinates of A'.

Homework Equations

1. The equation of the line (parametric equations)
2. A (2,4,5)
Dot Product, and distance from a point to a line

The Attempt at a Solution

I first began by finding the distance between r and A, equating it to r and A'. With A' being (a,b,c), and substituting this into the parametric equations of the line, i got the following:

824 = 5a^2 + 17b^2 + 20c^2 - 4bc - 8ac - 16ab

I'm unsure where to proceed from here, or even if this equation is correct.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homework Statement

For the lines L1 and L2, determine the co-ordinates of points on these lines that produce the minimal distance between L1 and L2.

Homework Equations

L1: r = (1,-2, 5) + s(0,1,-1), sER
L2: r = (1,-1,-2) + t(1,0,-1), tER
P1 (lies on L1) = (a,b,c)
P2 (lies on L2) = (d,e,f)

I know that the distance from each point to it's opposite line is equal, and I also broke up each line equation into parameters and substituted its respective point. I arrived at this answer however, and looking back, I can't figure out my thought process as to how I got to it, so I wouldn't trust it. lol

distance = (2t^2 +2s^2 +14t - 14s - 2st + 49)^1/2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homework Statement

Point A(1,0,4) is reflected in the plane with equation x - y + z - 1 = 0.
Determine the co-ordinates of the image point.

Homework Equations

The plane equation
A(1,0,4) and it's reflection B(a,b,c)

Again, distances are equal. I have two distrance from a point to a plane formulas equated to each other. I end up with this:

4 = l a - b + c - 1 l

I'm not exactly sure where to proceed from here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homework Statement

A perpendicular line is drawn from point X(3,2,-5) to the plane 4x - 5y + z - 9 = 0 and meets the plane at point M. Determine the co-ordinates of point M.

Homework Equations

The points X, M and the plane equation

Since the distance from a point to a plane is perpendicular, I found the distance from X to the plane as 12/(42^1/2).

I converted the plane equation into a vector equation, and then broke that into parametric equations. Here were mine: x = s + m, y = -s, z = 9 - 9s + 4m, with s and m being the parameters.

Using the distance between two points formula, and equating that to my distance, substituting the parameters, I receive this equation:

7a^2 + 7b^2 + 7c^2 - 42a - 28b + 70c + 242 = 0

Again, I don't know where to proceed
----------------------------------------------
Sorry I have so many questions. I hope you can help me, especially with my problem with finding equations and then getting stumped!

Physics news on Phys.org
Construct the plane perpendicular to the given line, containing the given point.

That's easy: r = (0,0,1) + s(4,2,1) has "direction vector" <4, 2, 1> and that is perpendicular to any plane perpendicular to the line. In particular, the perpendicular plane that contains (2,4,5) has equation 4(x- 2)+ 2(y- 4)+ 1(z- 5)= 0 or 4x+ 2y+ z= 21.

Now determine where the line crosses that plane: where 4(4s)+ 2(2s)+ 1(1+ s)= 21.

Once you have found that point, construct the line through the two points and use the fact that point you want must be on that line, the same distance on the opposite sides of the point of intersetion.

Related to Vectors- 4 Gr. 12 Questions - Equations of Line and Planes

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you find the equation of a line using vectors?

To find the equation of a line using vectors, you need to have two points on the line. Then, find the vector that connects these two points. This vector can be written as a linear combination of i and j (unit vectors in the x and y directions). The equation of the line can then be written as r = a + tb, where r is the position vector, a is the initial point, b is the vector connecting the two points, and t is a scalar value.

3. How do you find the equation of a plane using vectors?

To find the equation of a plane using vectors, you need to have three points on the plane. Then, find two vectors that lie on the plane and are not parallel to each other. These vectors can be written as linear combinations of i, j, and k (unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions). The equation of the plane can then be written as r = a + sb + tc, where r is the position vector, a is the initial point, b and c are the two vectors on the plane, and s and t are scalar values.

4. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

Two vectors are parallel if they have the same direction or are in the opposite direction. This means that they have the same or opposite unit vectors. To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can compare the ratio of their components. If the ratios are equal, the vectors are parallel. Another way is to take the cross product of the two vectors. If the cross product is zero, the vectors are parallel.

5. How do you determine if two planes are parallel or perpendicular?

Two planes are parallel if their normal vectors (vectors perpendicular to the plane) are parallel. This means that the normal vectors have the same or opposite direction. To determine if two planes are parallel, you can compare the ratios of their coefficients in the equation of the plane. If the ratios are equal, the planes are parallel. Two planes are perpendicular if their normal vectors are perpendicular. This means that the dot product of the normal vectors is zero.