Vector Transformation in Cartesian and Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from the book "Tensor Analysis" by Barry Spain regarding the transformation of a vector from rectangular Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. The question is attached in jpeg format and the participant has come up with a solution, but it differs from the solution given in the book. They have checked other books and found both solutions to exist, causing confusion about which one is correct. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and a mention of a link to a similar solution.
Septim
Greetings,

My question is from the book "Tensor Analysis" by Barry Spain. I am asked to show that how a vector transforms from rectangular Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. I have attached the question in jpeg format. I have came up with a solution but the angular component in my solution is r^2 times the angular component given in the book. I have checked some books about this subject and found out that both the solution given in the attachment and I have found exist. I am pretty confused about this and I assume that this book is wrong. I will be grateful if someone can provide some insight.

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas ?

My guess: normalization question. Both answers may be right.

Here is a solution based on using vector u_r = [cos(A) , sin(A)] and vector u_A = [-sin(A), cos(A)] normal to it. Edit: It appears the answer is not exactly the same.

Last edited:
Ferramentarius said:
Here is a solution based on using vector u_r = [cos(A) , sin(A)] and vector u_A = [-sin(A), cos(A)] normal to it. Edit: It appears the answer is not exactly the same.

I just saw your post much later but I did not understand your argument.

P.S The link is not accessible.

The link was accessible and I saw the solution which is similar to mine though less detail is provided. The two answers differ by a factor of r and I think the solution in the link you suggest is the correct one, since it has the dimensions of acceleration and this is acceleration am I correct?

Related to Vector Transformation in Cartesian and Polar Coordinates

What is the definition of vector transformation?

Vector transformation refers to the process of changing the coordinates of a vector from one coordinate system to another, while maintaining the same direction and magnitude of the vector.

What are the basic types of vector transformations?

The basic types of vector transformations are translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing. Translation involves moving the vector to a different location. Rotation involves rotating the vector around a fixed point. Scaling involves changing the size of the vector. Shearing involves changing the shape of the vector by stretching or compressing it in a particular direction.

What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a square matrix that represents a vector transformation. It is used to perform vector transformations by multiplying it with the vector's coordinates. The resulting coordinates are the transformed version of the original vector.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear vector transformation?

A linear vector transformation preserves the properties of a vector, such as direction and magnitude, while a non-linear transformation does not. In a linear transformation, the transformation matrix is a constant, while in a non-linear transformation, the matrix may vary depending on the vector's coordinates.

How are vector transformations used in real-world applications?

Vector transformations have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to translate, rotate, and scale objects in computer graphics, to control the movement of robots, and to calculate the forces and velocities of objects in physics simulations.