Vector & Square Root Question for GCSE Maths

In summary, the conversation discusses a vector question involving defining parts, length, and direction. It also includes a method for simplifying square roots through finding prime factors and using a calculator. A separate conversation explores the relationship between the distance from a point to the midpoint and the distance from the midpoint to any other point in a regular polygon. The conversation suggests considering the definition of a regular polygon and using geometric reasoning to solve the problem.
tomtomtom1
I have attached a copy of a vector question which i cannot do, i do not even understand what the question is asking can someone help?

On a different note i seem to have a lot of trouble with simplifying square roots for example what is the square root of 2704/ is there any way to find the root easily?

Thanks

Attachments

• Vector Hexagon.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 222
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector question:

Remember that the defining parts of a vector are its length and direction. You can produce a vector of the same length and direction (but not position) as BC using some combination of AB and CD. Hint: How does the distance from A to the midpoint compare to the distance from B to C? What about the angles? Can you prove it?

The roots question:

I use a calculator, to be honest. But, in a pinch, I would decompose the number into prime factors like so:

sqrt(2704) = sqrt(2*2*2*2*13*13) = sqrt(2^4 * 13^2) = 4*13 = 52

Finding the factors is a bit time consuming though.

tomtomtom1 said:
On a different note i seem to have a lot of trouble with simplifying square roots for example what is the square root of 2704/ is there any way to find the root easily?

Thanks
Factor the 2704 into its lowest factors. Start with 2.

Chet

tomtomtom1 said:
I have attached a copy of a vector question which i cannot do, i do not even understand what the question is asking can someone help?
It's a regular hexagon. What does that tell you about the lengths of the sides?

How about a calculator? If you want a manual method, you could start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_computing_square_roots

Nick O said:
I would decompose the number into prime factors like so:

It can be done in the head like this:
2704 = 2700+4 = 4*(27*25+1) = 4*((26+1)(26-1)+1) = 4*((262-12)+1)...

Of course, the quick and lazy way to factor a number is with a package such as Maxima or GNU Octave:

Code:
(%i1) factor(2704);

4   2
(%o1)                               2  13

Nick O said:
The vector question:

Remember that the defining parts of a vector are its length and direction. You can produce a vector of the same length and direction (but not position) as BC using some combination of AB and CD. Hint: How does the distance from A to the midpoint compare to the distance from B to C? What about the angles? Can you prove it?

The roots question:

I use a calculator, to be honest. But, in a pinch, I would decompose the number into prime factors like so:

I am trying to prove that the distance from A to the mid point is equal to the midpoint to any other corner, what i have done is found the angles at the midpoint (360/6) to get 60 degrees, i have alos found the interior angles which is 120 degrees and the exterior angles which are 60 degrees but i cannot prove the length of the mid point is equal to the midpoint to all other points?

see attached.

Attachments

• updated vector.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 199
Would it help to note that the triangles inside are all equiangular, and therefore equilateral? Every side of every triangle has the same length.

Edit: If we want to prove this rigorously, I would start with the fact that |FC| = 2|AB| (given), therefore |FO| = |AB|. But, I doubt that this is necessary as long as you have a convincing (and correct!) argument.

Last edited:
tomtomtom1 said:
I am trying to prove that the distance from A to the mid point is equal to the midpoint to any other corner,
The question asks you to relate the length of one side to the lengths of two other sides. Just consider the definition of a regular polygon, and the answer should be obvious.

tms said:
The question asks you to relate the length of one side to the lengths of two other sides. Just consider the definition of a regular polygon, and the answer should be obvious.

But let's pretend that it isn't a regular hexagon, this makes the question more interesting. Essentially you must tackle this like a geometry problem, start from what you know and fill in anything you can add with geometric reasoning. Eventually you will find a way forward.

Related to Vector & Square Root Question for GCSE Maths

1. What is a vector in GCSE Maths?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow and is commonly used in geometry, physics, and other areas of mathematics.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, if the vector is represented as (x,y), the magnitude can be found as √(x² + y²).

3. What is the square root property in GCSE Maths?

The square root property is used to solve quadratic equations in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0. It states that if a quadratic equation can be rewritten as (x ± a)² = b, then the solutions can be found by taking the square root of both sides and solving for x.

4. How do you simplify square roots?

To simplify a square root, you need to find the largest perfect square that is a factor of the number inside the square root. Then, you can take the square root of that perfect square and move any remaining numbers outside the square root. For example, the square root of 72 can be simplified as √(36 x 2), which can then be written as 6√2.

5. How are vectors used in real life?

Vectors have many practical applications in real life. They are commonly used in navigation and map reading to determine direction and distance. They are also used in physics to represent forces and motion, in computer graphics to create 3D images, and in engineering to represent the direction and magnitude of forces acting on structures.