Witnessing the Moon's Rapid Set - A Fall Foliage Experiment

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's experience at a gas pump where they enjoyed a view of the New England Fall foliage and a waning gibbous moon. They were able to adjust their line of sight to watch the moon set multiple times, which served as a reminder of the Earth's rotation and the movement of the sky. The speaker also mentioned using a telescope to observe the rotation rate of the Earth.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Before my rush to work this morning, I was at the gas pump enjoying a splendid view of New England Fall foliage with a waning gibbous moon suspended low in the sky. The declination of the Moon was such that I could adjust my line of sight so that the Moon appeared just above the top the gas pump. Over the next minute or so, standing very still, I watched the moon sink below my artifical horizon. By adjusting my line of sight, I watched the moon set several times.

A simple, yet elegant reminder that we're standing on a rapidly spinning globe and that the seemingly still astronomical sky is actually marching right along at quite a good clip.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you want more "proof-positive" of the real rotation rate of Earth, then try looking at an object in an undriven telescope at 250X and above. I do it, but it takes a fair amount of practice, and glass-smooth bearings in both axes.

1. How do you witness the moon's rapid set?

To witness the moon's rapid set, you need to observe the moon as it sets below the horizon. This is best done on a clear night with minimal light pollution. You can also use a telescope or binoculars to get a closer look at the moon's movement.

2. What is a fall foliage experiment?

A fall foliage experiment is a scientific experiment that involves observing and recording the changes in foliage colors during the autumn season. This is typically done to understand the environmental factors that affect the timing and intensity of fall foliage colors.

3. What equipment do you need for this experiment?

For this experiment, you will need a camera or a smartphone with a good camera, a tripod, and a notebook to record your observations. You may also want to bring a flashlight for better visibility during the moon's rapid set.

4. Why is it important to witness the moon's rapid set for a fall foliage experiment?

Witnessing the moon's rapid set can provide valuable information about the timing and intensity of fall foliage colors. The moon's position and movement can affect the amount of light and temperature that the trees receive, which can impact the rate at which their leaves change color.

5. What are some tips for a successful fall foliage experiment?

To have a successful fall foliage experiment, make sure to choose a clear and dark night for observing the moon's rapid set. Use a tripod to keep your camera or phone steady, and take notes of your observations, including the date, time, and location. You can also compare your findings with others in different locations to get a broader understanding of fall foliage changes.