Vector Rotation About Arbitrary Axis

In summary, the author explains in the document that from the given figure, we can express the vector $v_{\perp}$ as $\cos(\theta)v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta)w$ in the context of a linear transformation that rotates every vector in a plane perpendicular to the rotation axis by an angle $\theta$. This can be understood geometrically by considering $v_{\perp}$ as mapped to $T(v_{\perp})$ in the figure, with $v_{\perp}$ and $w$ being perpendicular unit vectors in the plane.
MD Aminuzzaman
I am new to this forum. I was reading this document :
http://math.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/math4490/rotgen.pdf

Here the author says that from this figure
http://i.stack.imgur.com/KBw9l.png

that we can express $v_{\perp}$ like this :
$$T (v_{\perp}) = \cos(\theta) v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta) w$$

I don't understand this part. Can anybody explain how $$T(v_{\perp}) $$ is $$\cos(\theta) v_{\perp} + \sin(\theta) w$$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Any Help?

Isn't this obvious from the figure? I see no problem at all.

Although what should be a circle looks like an ellipse in the figure I see on my computer. Could be something wrong with the graphics the author used. Anyway, if you also see an ellipse, think of it as a circle!

Why we are experessing the Vector as addition of cos(θ)v⊥ and sin(θ)w ? Is it the result of 2 vector addition like Vab = Va + Vb?

Is your question why it is correct to do this, or what is the use of doing this?

why it is correct to do this ?

Don't you know how to add vectors geometrically, with the parallellgram law?

Here we are studying a linear tranformation which rotates every vector in the plane perpendicular to the rotation axis by the angle ##\theta## about that axis. Then ##v_\perp## is mapped to ##T(v_\perp)## in the figure. And ##v_\perp## and ##w## are perpendicular unit vectors in this plane, so we obtain the relation stated.

Likes MD Aminuzzaman
Thanks now i understood. Sorry sometimes i am dumb and gets confused with simpler things.

MD Aminuzzaman said:
Thanks now i understood. Sorry sometimes i am dumb and gets confused with simpler things.
No problem, you're very welcome! We all get confused sometimes.

Related to Vector Rotation About Arbitrary Axis

1. What is vector rotation about an arbitrary axis?

Vector rotation about an arbitrary axis is a mathematical operation that involves rotating a vector in three-dimensional space around a specified axis. This operation is used in many fields, including computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is vector rotation about an arbitrary axis different from rotating about a fixed axis?

Vector rotation about an arbitrary axis allows for rotation around any axis in three-dimensional space, while rotating about a fixed axis only allows for rotation around a specific predefined axis. This makes vector rotation more versatile and applicable to a wider range of situations.

3. What are the steps involved in vector rotation about an arbitrary axis?

The first step is to determine the rotation axis and the angle of rotation. Then, the vector is broken down into its components along and perpendicular to the rotation axis. Next, the perpendicular component is rotated by the specified angle using trigonometric functions. Finally, the rotated vector is reconstructed by combining the rotated perpendicular component with the original component along the rotation axis.

4. Can vector rotation about an arbitrary axis be applied to both 2D and 3D vectors?

Yes, vector rotation about an arbitrary axis can be applied to both 2D and 3D vectors. In 2D, the rotation occurs around the z-axis, while in 3D, the rotation axis can be any combination of x, y, and z axes.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector rotation about an arbitrary axis?

Vector rotation about an arbitrary axis is used in computer graphics to rotate objects in 3D space, in physics to calculate the angular momentum of rotating objects, and in engineering to design mechanical systems that involve rotation.