Vector Question: 3 dimensions inside a rectangular soild?

Can you find the angle between them?In summary, the task is to calculate the magnitude of the equilibrant of three forces acting on a rectangular solid, and determine the angle that the equilibrant makes with each of the three forces. This can be done by using the resultant of two vectors and then using trigonometry to find the angle between the resultant and each force. Alternatively, the dot product can also be used to find the angle.
zeion
Vector Question: 3 dimensions inside a rectangular soild??

Homework Statement

Three forces of 5 N, 8 N, and 10 N act from the corner of a rectangular solid
along its three edges.
a. Calculate the magnitude of the equilibrant of these three forces.
b. Determine the angle that the equilibrant makes with each of the three
forces

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve a. by taking two vectors then using the resultant of those 2 with the third to calculate the equilibrant. But how can I know the angle with respect to each original vector? I'm not sure how to relate the angles if they are calculated on different planes

Physics news on Phys.org

zeion said:

Homework Statement

Three forces of 5 N, 8 N, and 10 N act from the corner of a rectangular solid
along its three edges.
a. Calculate the magnitude of the equilibrant of these three forces.
b. Determine the angle that the equilibrant makes with each of the three
forces

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve a. by taking two vectors then using the resultant of those 2 with the third to calculate the equilibrant. But how can I know the angle with respect to each original vector? I'm not sure how to relate the angles if they are calculated on different planes

I would try writing down explicit vectors and using the dot product.

This chapter in the textbook doesn't talk about dot products though.

zeion said:
This chapter in the textbook doesn't talk about dot products though.

Then you'll have to use trig. The resultant vector makes a right triangle with each of the three forces. The length of the resultant is the hypotenuse and the force is a leg. And the angle is between them is what you want.

But then I only have 2 sides and no angles?

zeion said:
But then I only have 2 sides and no angles?

You have a right angle. The difference between the resultant and the forces is perpendicular to the force. Draw a picture with only two perpendicular forces.

Related to Vector Question: 3 dimensions inside a rectangular soild?

1. What is a vector in 3 dimensions?

A vector in 3 dimensions is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is represented by a line segment with an arrow pointing in the direction of its magnitude.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector in 3 dimensions?

The magnitude of a vector in 3 dimensions is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude is the length of the vector.

3. What is the dot product of two vectors in 3 dimensions?

The dot product of two vectors in 3 dimensions is a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

4. How do you find the cross product of two vectors in 3 dimensions?

The cross product of two vectors in 3 dimensions is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the determinants of the two vectors and arranging them in a specific order.

5. How are vectors used in a rectangular solid?

Vectors are used in a rectangular solid to represent forces, velocities, and displacements. They can also be used to calculate the volume, surface area, and angles of the solid.