Vector Proofs: A Quadrilateral thing #2

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other. The person is using position vectors and has determined that the midpoint of vector AC is OZ. They are also trying to show that AZ = ZC using steps 1 and 2, but are unsure of how to proceed.
forevergone
I'm not sure if I should've started a new thread for this but..

I need some help trying to prove that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other..
I think I have an idea of how to solve this but I can't seem to put it together:

Given
AB = DC
AD = BC

Known
AB + BC = AC
BC + BD = BD
and so forth..

I'm trying to prove that BZ = ZD and AZ = ZC. Using position vectors, I determined that the midpoint of vector AC to be OA + OB/2 = OZ and that AZ = OA - OZ and ZC = OZ - OC. I had the train of thought in my mind on how to pursue this problem before but I lost it somehow after thinking too hard. I know these are the right steps that need to be considered to finish the problem, but in what steps do I need to do in order to finish this problem?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1889/46wf.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
where's the middle of a vector?

its a midpoint. Hence OA + OB/2 = OZ.

So far, my steps are:

1 - AZ = OA - OZ
2 - ZC = OZ - OC

sub into 1 -> AZ = OA - (OA + OB/2)
sub into 2 -> ZC = (OA + OB/2) - OC

but after this, I get lost in trying to prove how AZ = ZC.

Last edited:

Related to Vector Proofs: A Quadrilateral thing #2

1. What is a vector proof?

A vector proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses vectors to show the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using the properties and operations of vectors to demonstrate the logical steps needed to prove the statement.

2. How is a vector proof different from a traditional proof?

A vector proof differs from a traditional proof in that it uses vectors and their properties instead of algebraic equations and geometric figures. It is a more visual and algebraic approach to proving statements.

3. What are the common properties used in vector proofs?

Some common properties used in vector proofs include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the properties of scalar multiplication and vector addition.

4. Can vector proofs be used to prove theorems about quadrilaterals?

Yes, vector proofs can be used to prove theorems about quadrilaterals. In fact, they are often used in geometry to prove properties of quadrilaterals, such as the properties of parallelograms, rectangles, and squares.

5. Are there any specific steps to follow when conducting a vector proof?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when conducting a vector proof. These include clearly stating the claim, defining the vectors and their properties, and using logical steps to prove the claim using vector operations and properties. It is also important to clearly explain each step and provide a valid reason for it.