Vector proof - four points in space

In summary, the problem states that given four points A, B, C, D in space, with mid-points M and N of AC and BD, it can be shown that the sum of AB, CB, and CD equals four times MN. This may require adding AD to the equation.
nc01
The problem is: A, B, C, D are any four points in space. If M and N are the mid-points of AC and BD, show that AB + CB + CD = 4MN.

I'm not quite sure where to start. Could someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that the problem is correct. Suppose that A,B,C,D are the four corners of a square. In this case, M and N would both be the center of the square. This would make MN=0

welcome to pf!

hi nc01! welcome to pf! :smile:
nc01 said:
The problem is: A, B, C, D are any four points in space. If M and N are the mid-points of AC and BD, show that AB + CB + CD = 4MN.

?? :confused:

i think you need an AD in there …

AB + AD + CB + CD = 4MN :wink:

Related to Vector proof - four points in space

1. What is a vector proof?

A vector proof is a mathematical method used to show that a specific vector or set of vectors has certain properties or relationships. It involves using mathematical equations and geometric principles to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem.

2. What are the four points in space used in a vector proof?

The four points in space used in a vector proof are typically labeled as A, B, C, and D. These points represent specific coordinates in three-dimensional space and are used to define the vectors being analyzed.

3. How is a vector proof different from a geometric proof?

A vector proof uses mathematical equations and principles, while a geometric proof relies on geometric properties and theorems. Vector proofs involve analyzing vectors and their components, while geometric proofs focus on angles, lines, and shapes.

4. What types of properties can be proven using vector proofs?

Vector proofs can be used to prove various properties of vectors, such as magnitude, direction, and angle between vectors. They can also be used to prove relationships between vectors, such as parallelism, orthogonality, and collinearity.

5. Can vector proofs be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, vector proofs have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to analyze and solve problems involving forces, motion, and three-dimensional models.