Vector Product in C³: Explained & Standard Basis

In summary, the vector product in C³ is a three dimensional Lie algebra defined by the relations: [e_1,e_2]=e_3, [e_1,e_3]=-e_2, and [e_2,e_3]=e_1, where e_1, e_2, and e_3 are the standard basis of C³. This can also be represented using the cross product (×) and the standard basis of R3: i×j=k, i×k=-j, and j×k=i.
koolmodee
The vector product in C³ is a three dimensional Lie algebra. Taking the standard basis (e_1,e_2,e_3) of C³, the brackets can be defined by the relations:

[e_1,e_2]=e_3 [e_1,e_3]=-e_2 [e_2,e_3]=e_1

That what my book says, but I don't get. But what does the author mean here with the standard basis of C³?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as the same thing as standard basis of R3. Using × rather than the Lie bracket and i, j, k rather than e1, e2, e3, the above translates to i×j=k, i×k=-j, j×k=i.

Thanks D H!

Related to Vector Product in C³: Explained & Standard Basis

1. What is a vector product in C³?

A vector product in C³, also known as a cross product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector that is perpendicular to the original vectors. It is commonly used in 3-dimensional space to describe the relationship between two vectors.

2. How is the vector product calculated?

The vector product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, where the first row is the standard basis vectors (i, j, and k) and the second and third rows are the components of the two vectors being multiplied. The result is a new vector in the form of [a, b, c], where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the standard basis vectors.

3. What is the significance of the standard basis in vector product calculations?

The standard basis, consisting of the unit vectors i, j, and k, is used as a reference frame for calculating the vector product. The resulting vector will always be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and will lie in the plane defined by them.

4. How is the vector product used in real-life applications?

The vector product has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, angular momentum, and magnetic force in physics, as well as to create 3D graphics in computer programs.

5. Are there any other types of vector products besides the cross product?

Yes, there is also the dot product, which results in a scalar value instead of a vector. It is calculated by multiplying the components of the two vectors and adding them together. The dot product is used to find the angle between two vectors and to project one vector onto another.