Vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder

In summary: The result is essentially the same as that of the method using Stokes's theorem. In that case you get$$\vec{A}=\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \oint_{|x|=a} \frac{\vec{j}(x') \times \vec{x}-\vec{x} \times \vec{j}(x')}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|} \, da',$$where the integral runs over the surface of the cylinder of radius ##a##. You can check that this gives the same result. The field of an infinite wire is anyway much easier to calculate using the Biot-Savart law. In general the calculation of the vector potential is much more difficult than that
Somali_Physicist
I have seen the other threads on an infinitely long wires vector potential.Its obvious that really small wires are just infinitely long cylinders:

∇xA=B
∫∇xA.da=∫B.da
∫A.dl = ∫B.da = φ(flux)
For an infinite cylinder
A.2πri=B.2πrih
A=Bh
A=μ0*I*h/(2π*r)

Now for a cylinder of radius limr->0 => μ0I/2π which I am sure is wrong (interesting multiply this by r and u get B field of a wire)

Obviously for infinitely long wire:
A = (μ0/I2π)(log(Λρ+√1+Λ2ρ2))

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation using ## B ## to try to generate ## A ## is somewhat clever, but your path of integration is inconsistent with the area over which you took the flux. By Stokes theorem, the path of ## \oint A \cdot dl ## needs to be around the region of the flux of ## B ##. ## \\ ## The equation you need is of the form ## \vec{A}(x)=\int \frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \frac{\vec{J}(x')}{|x-x'| } \, d^3 x' ##. For ## \vec{J}=J_z \hat{z} ##, ## \vec{A} ## will only have a z-component.

Charles Link said:
Your equation using ## B ## to try to generate ## A ## is somewhat clever, but your path of integration is inconsistent with the area over which you took the flux. By Stokes theorem, the path of ## \oint A \cdot dl ## needs to be around the region of the flux of ## B ##. ## \\ ## The equation you need is of the form ## \vec{A}(x)=\int \frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \frac{\vec{J}(x')}{|x-x'| } \, d^3 x' ##. For ## \vec{J}=J_z \hat{z} ##, ## \vec{A} ## will only have a z-component.
Hmm , so which path of integration would i take? or is that not possible?

[corrected typos indicated in #5]

This is a very tricky issue, because the infinite wire is a physical idealization, and you have to use a more clever formula to evaluate the potential (there's no such problem for ##\vec{B}##, which can be calculated with the standard Biot-Savart formulat). The reason is that the naive integral for ##\vec{A}## of course diverges for and infinitely long wire. In this case, it's much easier to directly integrate the differential equation for ##\vec{A}## with the ansatz
$$\vec{A}=\vec{e}_z A(R),$$
where I use standard cylinder coordinates ##(R,\varphi,z)##. Using the standard formulae for curl in cylinder coordinates you get
$$\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = -A'(R) \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=-\frac{1}{R} \left (R A'(R) \right )' \stackrel{!}{=} \mu_0 \vec{j}.$$
With
$$\vec{j}=\frac{I}{\pi a^2} \Theta(a-R) \vec{e}_z=j_0 \Theta(a-R) \vec{e}_z$$
you get by simple integration (for ##R<a##)
$$A_{<}=-\frac{\mu_0 j_0}{4} R^2,$$
where I used the fact that the potential is regular at ##R=0##. For ##R>a## you get
$$A_{>}=C_1-C_2 \ln \left (\frac{R}{a} \right).$$
Continuity demands ##C_1=-\mu_0 j_0 a^2/4##. The magnetic field is
$$\vec{B}_<=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 R}{2} \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{B}_>=\frac{C_2}{R} \vec{e}_{\varphi}.$$
Since there are no surface currents ##\vec{B}## must be continuous at ##R=a##, i.e.,
$$\frac{C_2}{a}=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 a}{2} \; \Rightarrow \; C_2=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi},$$
and thus
$$\vec{B}_{<}=\frac{\mu_0 I R}{2 \pi a^2} \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{B}_{>}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi R} \vec{e}_{\varphi}.$$

Last edited:
Likes Somali_Physicist and Charles Link
vanhees71 said:
∇×→B=−1R(1RA′(r))′!=μ0→j.B→=∇→×A→=−A′(R)e→φ,∇→×B→=−1R(1RA′(r))′=!μ0j→.​
\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = -A'(R) \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=-\frac{1}{R} \left (\frac{1}{R} A'(r) \right )' \stackrel{!}{=} \mu_0 \vec{j}.
One correction, if my algebra/calculus is correct when I looked up the curl in cylindrical coordinates: The curl of ## A ## generates a ## \phi ## component of ## B ##, (##B_{\phi}=- A'(R) ##), and when taking the curl of that, the term of interest, (the z component of the curl of ## B ##), has ## \frac{1}{R} ( \frac{\partial{( R \, B_{\phi})} }{\partial{R}}) ## so that it should be ##( \nabla \times \vec{B})_z=-\frac{1}{R}(R \, A'(R))' =\mu_o j_o ##. ## \\ ## (This is apparently a "typo" because the subsequent solutions for ## A(R) ## are correct, and they are the solutions that are obtained with this correction). ## \\ ## And one additional minor "typo": ## C_1=-\mu_o j_o a^2/4 ##, (where it should be ## j_o ## rather than ## r_u ##). ## \\ ## A very interesting solution. Thank you @vanhees71 ! :)

Last edited:
Indeed! Thanks. I corrected the typos in the posting.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder

1. What is the vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder?

The vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field produced by a cylindrical current-carrying wire. It is a vector quantity that represents the potential energy of a magnetic field at a given point in space.

2. How is the vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder calculated?

The vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a given point is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

3. What is the direction of the vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder?

The direction of the vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder is perpendicular to both the direction of the current flowing through the wire and the distance from the wire. This means that the vector potential forms concentric circles around the wire.

4. What is the significance of the vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder?

The vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire at any point in space. It also helps us understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields.

5. How is the vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder used in practical applications?

The vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, and in the study of electromagnetic radiation. It is also used in the development of magnetic levitation technology and in the medical field for imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).