Vector Multiplication: Dot & Cross Products

In summary, the dot product and cross product are mathematical operations used to multiply vectors. The dot product yields the square of the magnitude of a vector or the projection of one vector on another. The cross product yields a resultant vector perpendicular to the original vectors, making it useful in situations involving motion in multiple planes such as electromagnetics.
AlchemistK
I have read of dot product and cross product to multiply vectors, yet i do not understand the theory behind them. What are vector products even used for?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
AlchemistK said:
I have read of dot product and cross product to multiply vectors, yet i do not understand the theory behind them. What are vector products even used for?

Thank you.

I watched the first five minutes of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34CftP455k". It looks like a decent place to start and is not dense in terminology.

Many equations in physics and elsewhere call for multiply two vectors by each other. That's where I see them used.

Last edited by a moderator:
AlchemistK said:

Thank you.

One use of the vector product is in Electromagnetics. For example the force on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field is:
FB=qvXB
Where FB is the force q is the charge, v is the particle's velocity and B is the magnetic field strength.

Cross product of a radius vector and a Force vector yields a moment or torque vector.
Dot product between identical vectors gives the square of the magnitude of the original vector.
Dot product between two arbitrary vectors yields the projection of one vector on the other.

AlchemistK said:

Thank you.

Seems to me the key thing is the resultant vector for cross product is not in the same plane.
So if you have two vectors in the x and y planes, the the resultant in in the z plane.

However I am no expert, I'm just guessing it comes from something like electro magnetic forces
where the motion of a charged particle is in one plane, the field in another and the current in another.

Related to Vector Multiplication: Dot & Cross Products

What is vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two vectors to produce a new vector. There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product.

What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a type of vector multiplication that produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and adding them together.

What is the cross product?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a type of vector multiplication that produces a vector quantity. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the two vectors and finding the perpendicular vector to both of them.

What are the applications of vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other mathematical fields. It can be used to calculate work, torque, and magnetic force, among other things.

What are some properties of vector multiplication?

Some properties of vector multiplication include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. The dot product is commutative and distributive, while the cross product is not commutative but is distributive.