Electrical Safety Hazards in Automotive Batteries - Coventry U

• Thread starter Alireza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking urgent help with a course work about Electrical Safety, specifically regarding automotive batteries and their potential hazards. The member has provided a main question to be addressed, and other forum members have offered information and explanations, including the potential for electrocution and skin resistance as a defense against it, as well as the differences between an automotive battery and a carbon-zinc battery. Other hazards such as burns and welding are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a warning about duplicate posts and the thread being moved to the Engineering Homework Help forums.
Alireza
Hi Guys; as you can see I'm very new;)
I'm studying in Coventry University, and I need urgent help[b(]

I have to do a course work about Electrical Safty which I have no clue about it.

I was wondering if you guys can give me a link or some information about my question, it will be appreciated.

the main question which I have to write about it (around 100 worlds) is:

An automotive battery currently operates at a normal 12 V d.c. This voltage level is normally considered inherently safe. Explain why the automotive battery still represents a safty hazards.

Thanks in advance...:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
When charging, an automobile battery releases hydrogen gas. When “jump starting” another vehicle, connect positive terminal first and than connect to a frame member at some distance from the battery to avoid an explosion from possible sparking when the connection is made.

As far as electrocution, it occurs due to “cooking” via resistance heating, or by having sufficient current density passing through the heart. There may be nerve stimulation (let go threshhold)but I believe that is much less a factor as compared to alternating current in the 50-60hz range

A person’s skin resistance is the primary defense against electrocution. If one abrades the skin to remove dead cells, that resistance will be about 1000 ohms. It will be the same whether measuring from toe to finger or from digit to digit on the same limb.

What makes an automobile different from an old-fashioned carbon-zinc battery is that it has very low internal resistance. If a carbon-zinc battery of twelve colts is short-circuited, its high internal resistance will limit its current flow to several amperes, whereas the automobile battery can provide upwards of 300 amperes for a considerable period of time.

The most likely electrical hazard associated with an automobile battery, is to be burned by a tool accidentally laid across its terminals, which will be heated to high temperatures very quickly. Four or five batteries connected in series can be used to weld metals.

Skin resistance will prevent physiological damage to the body, by limiting current flow to the mili-amp range. There is only one possible way I can think of to electrocute someone. If a person has an exposed conductive path to the heart, as one might have during a medical procedure, the heart may be caused to fibrillate.

WOW, I will make it short and simple. At higher voltage levels the electricity would be able to break down the insulation of your skin, enabling electrocution.

Originally posted by GENIERE
If a carbon-zinc battery of twelve colts is short-circuited, its high internal resistance will limit its current flow to several amperes.

Let's see, 12 colts at about 1/3 horsepower per colt * 750 W / horsepower gives 3000 W. 3000 W at 12V gives 250 amps. :wink:

Seriously, a very good and thorough answer.
mmwave (who was almost knock off his horse by a colt today)

The Colt is a unit of electro-motive force honoring the famous Italian physicist, Alessandro Colta.

<< duplicate post deleted by berkeman -- see abdullah's separate thread about safety issues >>

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
<< duplicate post deleted by berkeman -- see abdullah's separate thread about safety issues >>

abdullah, welcome to the PF, but we have strict rules about duplicate/multiple posts. The separate thread that you started with the same text that you posted here in post #6 is the correct place for that different discussion to go on.

EDIT - I also moved your thread to the Engineering Homework Help forums, where all posts about homework and coursework should go. The PF guidelines and rules are very explicit about this.

Last edited:

1. What are electrical safety hazards in automotive batteries?

Electrical safety hazards in automotive batteries refer to potential dangers that can arise from the use, handling, or maintenance of batteries in vehicles. These hazards can include electric shock, explosion, or fire.

2. How do automotive batteries pose a safety risk?

Automotive batteries can pose a safety risk due to the high voltage and large amount of energy they contain. Improper handling, damaged batteries, or faulty wiring can lead to electric shock, short circuits, and other hazards.

3. What precautions should be taken to prevent electrical accidents with automotive batteries?

To prevent electrical accidents with automotive batteries, it is important to follow safety guidelines and regularly inspect batteries for damage. This includes wearing protective gear, properly connecting and disconnecting batteries, and avoiding contact with metal objects or water when handling batteries.

4. Are there any specific safety measures for working with electric vehicles?

Yes, working with electric vehicles requires additional safety measures due to the high voltage and specialized systems. This may include wearing insulated gloves and tools, disconnecting the battery before performing any work, and following specific guidelines for handling and disposing of electric vehicle batteries.

5. What are the potential consequences of not following electrical safety precautions with automotive batteries?

The consequences of not following electrical safety precautions with automotive batteries can range from minor injuries to severe electric shocks, fires, or explosions. It can also lead to damage to the vehicle and surrounding environment, as well as financial and legal consequences for individuals or companies.