Vector Field Formula for Graph in [-2,2] x [-2,2]

In summary, we discussed how to write a formula for a vector field that closely resembles a given graph. We also learned that the box [−2, 2] x [−2, 2] represents the domain of the function, not the cross product of two vectors.
carl123
Give an example of a formula for a vector field whose graph would closely resemble the one shown. The box for this figure is [−2, 2] x [−2, 2].View attachment 4930

Not sure where to start.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 56
Physics news on Phys.org
carl123 said:
Give an example of a formula for a vector field whose graph would closely resemble the one shown. The box for this figure is [−2, 2] x [−2, 2].
Not sure where to start.

Hi carl123! (Smile)

Typically we can write a vector field as the gradient of some $f(x,y)$.
From the graph given, there are 2 singular points at $x=\pm 1$.
Can you think of a $f(x,y)$ such that those are indeed singular points? (Wondering)

Will it be f (x,y) = f (-2,2)?

carl123 said:
Will it be f (x,y) = f (-2,2)?

Huh? That's not a formula for f(x,y). (Worried)

Consider that for instance $\frac{1}{x-1}$ is a formula where $x=1$ is a singular point.

I like Serena said:
Huh? That's not a formula for f(x,y). (Worried)

Consider that for instance $\frac{1}{x-1}$ is a formula where $x=1$ is a singular point.

where x = 1 is a singular point, the denominator will be 0 then.

carl123 said:
where x = 1 is a singular point, the denominator will be 0 then.

Exactly! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Exactly! (Nod)

if the denominator is 0, the formula will be undefined. What does that say about the graph?

Also, when I found the cross product of [-2,2] and [-2,2], I got 0. Does that mean, there's no field that resembles the graph?

Thanks.

carl123 said:
if the denominator is 0, the formula will be undefined. What does that say about the graph?
Suppose we pick $f(x,y)=\frac{y}{x-1}$.
Then the gradient will be:
$$\begin{pmatrix}\pd f x\\\pd f y\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{y}{(x-1)^2}\\\frac{1}{x-1}\end{pmatrix}$$

We can see the resulting vector plot here.

Also, when I found the cross product of [-2,2] and [-2,2], I got 0. Does that mean, there's no field that resembles the graph?
How would that cross product be related?

I like Serena said:
Suppose we pick $f(x,y)=\frac{y}{x-1}$.

How would that cross product be related?

Their cross product is equal

carl123 said:

Thanks.
[-2,2] x [-2,2] is not the cross product of two vectors. (How can you take the cross product of two vectors in 2D space??) It represents the domain of the function: \(\displaystyle x \in [ -2,2 ] \) and \(\displaystyle y \in [-2,2] \).

-Dan

Related to Vector Field Formula for Graph in [-2,2] x [-2,2]

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a vector quantity (such as force, velocity, or electric field) at every point in a given region of space.

2. How is a vector field defined?

A vector field is defined by a set of mathematical functions that assign a vector to each point in a given region of space. These functions can be represented as equations or graphs.

3. What is the formula for a vector field?

The formula for a vector field depends on the specific type of vector field being described. For example, the formula for a gravitational field would be different from the formula for an electric field. However, in general, a vector field can be represented as F(x,y,z) = (P(x,y,z), Q(x,y,z), R(x,y,z)), where P, Q, and R are the functions that define the x, y, and z components of the vector field, respectively.

4. How is a vector field graphically represented?

A vector field can be graphically represented by drawing arrows (vectors) at different points in the region of space being described. The direction and magnitude of the vector at each point correspond to the direction and magnitude of the vector quantity at that point.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector fields?

Vector fields have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common examples include describing fluid flow (such as air or water currents), electromagnetic fields, and gravitational fields. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of natural phenomena.