Vector equation perpendicular to two equations

In summary, to find the vector equation of a line that passes through a given point and is perpendicular to two given lines, you can find the tangent vectors to those lines and take their cross product. Then, you can use the cross product as the tangent vector for the line that passes through the given point. If you are not familiar with using derivatives with vectors, you can also solve for a vector with unknown components that has a scalar product of zero with both tangent vectors, and use that as the tangent vector for the line.
53Mark53
How do I find the vector equation of the line which passes through (-3/2,-3/2,1/2) and is perpendicular to both x+1=y/3=-z and 2x+1=2y+1=z-5/2

I know how to do it using one equation but I am unsure about how to do it using two equations

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Find tangent vector to those lines and take their cross product. Then find the equation of a line with a tangent equal to that cross product which passes from that point.

Shyan said:
Find tangent vector to those lines and take their cross product. Then find the equation of a line with a tangent equal to that cross product which passes from that point.
Could you please show an example I can't find anything about tangent vectors in my book

Thanks

For example for the line ##x+1=\frac y 3=-z##: At first we should transform it to the parametric form, simply write ## z=-t ##, then we'll have ## \frac y 3=t \Rightarrow y=3t ## and ## x=t-1 ##. So each point on the line has coordinates of the form ## (t-1,3t,-t) ## and the tangent vector to this line is simply the derivative of the latter expression w.r.t. t which is ## (1,3,-1) ##.

Shyan said:
For example for the line ##x+1=\frac y 3=-z##: At first we should transform it to the parametric form, simply write ## z=-t ##, then we'll have ## \frac y 3=t \Rightarrow y=3t ## and ## x=t-1 ##. So each point on the line has coordinates of the form ## (t-1,3t,-t) ## and the tangent vector to this line is simply the derivative of the latter expression w.r.t. t which is ## (1,3,-1) ##.
My class has not learned anything about using derivatives with vectors is there another way to solve this without using derivatives?

thanks

53Mark53 said:
My class has not learned anything about using derivatives with vectors is there another way to solve this without using derivatives?

thanks

What textbook are you using?
I think its better for me to take a look at it to see what tools you have at hand.

Shyan said:
What textbook are you using?
I think its better for me to take a look at it to see what tools you have at hand.

This is the example we had from class
IMG_8274.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg

Can you write the equation of those two lines in the form ## (x,y,z)=\vec a + \vec b t ##? This is the form in which the equation of the line is given in your example from the class.

Shyan said:
Can you write the equation of those two lines in the form ## (x,y,z)=\vec a + \vec b t ##? This is the form in which the equation of the line is given in your example from the class.

(x,y,z)=(-1/2,-1/2-5/2)+t(1/2,1/2,1)
and
(x,y,z)=(-1,0,0)+s(1,3,-1)

would I have to combine these?

53Mark53 said:
(x,y,z)=(-1/2,-1/2-5/2)+t(1/2,1/2,1)
and
(x,y,z)=(-1,0,0)+s(1,3,-1)

would I have to combine these?

Good. Now those constant vectors which are the coefficients of t and s are the tangent vectors to those lines. Now you can either take the vector product of those tangent vectors as the tangent vector for your line or consider a vector with unknown components and set its scalar product with both tangent vectors to zero and find the components and take it as the tangent vector for your line.

Likes 53Mark53
Shyan said:
Good. Now those constant vectors which are the coefficients of t and s are the tangent vectors to those lines. Now you can either take the vector product of those tangent vectors as the tangent vector for your line or consider a vector with unknown components and set its scalar product with both tangent vectors to zero and find the components and take it as the tangent vector for your line.
Thanks I got it now

Related to Vector equation perpendicular to two equations

1. What is a vector equation perpendicular to two equations?

A vector equation perpendicular to two equations is an equation that represents a vector that is perpendicular (or at a 90 degree angle) to the planes created by the two given equations. It can also be thought of as a line that is perpendicular to both planes.

2. How do you find the vector equation perpendicular to two equations?

To find the vector equation perpendicular to two equations, you can use the cross product of the normal vectors of the two planes created by the equations. This will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both planes and can be used to write the vector equation.

3. Can a vector equation be perpendicular to more than two equations?

Yes, a vector equation can be perpendicular to more than two equations. This means that the vector is perpendicular to all of the planes created by the equations and can be thought of as a line that is perpendicular to all of those planes.

4. What is the significance of finding a vector equation perpendicular to two equations?

Finding a vector equation perpendicular to two equations can be useful in solving problems related to lines and planes in three-dimensional space. It can also be used to find the shortest distance between a point and a plane, as the perpendicular vector will be the shortest distance between the two.

5. Is there only one vector equation perpendicular to two equations?

No, there are infinitely many vector equations that can be perpendicular to two equations. This is because there are infinitely many planes that can be created by two equations, and each plane has its own unique perpendicular vector. However, the direction of the vector will always be the same, as it is perpendicular to both planes.