Vector Components: Resolving "a" in 3 Quadrant

In summary: However if you are going to refer to the angle from hte positive x axis, then you are also taking \sin(240) and not \sin(30) . Those relations are technically supposed to be used in the first quadrant, or just as a relative measure.
th77
I have a problem that includes an acceleration vector 'a' located in the 3 quadrant and it makes an angle (theta) 30 degrees to the Negative Y axis.
The solution manual shows the the vector resolved like
a = (12.0 sin 30 m/s^2) i - (12.0 cos 30 m/s^2) j
Why take the sin of 30 for the x direction and the cos of 30 for y? I've always done it cos of x and sin of y.

Physics news on Phys.org
th77 said:
I have a problem that includes an acceleration vector 'a' located in the 3 quadrant and it makes an angle (theta) 30 degrees to the Negative Y axis.
The solution manual shows the the vector resolved like
a = (12.0 sin 30 m/s^2) i - (12.0 cos 30 m/s^2) j
Why take the sin of 30 for the x direction and the cos of 30 for y? I've always done it cos of x and sin of y.

Because the angle is here defined differently than usual...

The reason you flip them is because the reference angle is made with the y-axis instead of the x. Usually we measure the angle from the x axis.. The reason it works when you flip then is due to the two properties of sin and cos:

[itex] \sin(x-90) = \cos(x) [/itex]

[itex] \cos(x-90) = \sin(x) [/itex]

whozum said:
The reason you flip them is because the reference angle is made with the y-axis instead of the x. Usually we measure the angle from the x axis.. The reason it works when you flip then is due to the two properties of sin and cos:
[itex] \sin(x-90) = \cos(x) [/itex]
[itex] \cos(x-90) = \sin(x) [/itex]
Thanks! That leands me to another question...
In this problem, the angle is 30 degrees with the negative axis so shouldn't cos 240 be equal to sin 30? They come to -0.5 and 0.5 respectively.

th77 said:
Thanks! That leands me to another question...
In this problem, the angle is 30 degrees with the negative axis so shouldn't cos 240 be equal to sin 30? They come to -0.5 and 0.5 respectively.

You're turning in the wrong direction: 30 degrees starting from the negative Y axis (=270 degrees) gives you 300 degrees, not 240...

vanesch said:
You're turning in the wrong direction: 30 degrees starting from the negative Y axis (=270 degrees) gives you 300 degrees, not 240...

the vector is in the 3rd quadrant so isn't it 240?

[itex] \cos(240)[/itex] measures the (60 deg) reference angle from the negative x-axis in the third quadrant, where cosine is always negative. However if you are going to refer to the angle from hte positive x axis, then you are also taking [itex] \sin(240) [/itex] and not [itex] \sin(30) [/itex]. Those relations are technically supposed to be used in the first quadrant, or just as a relative measure.

Related to Vector Components: Resolving "a" in 3 Quadrant

1. What are vector components?

Vector components are the two perpendicular parts of a vector that act in different directions. They are used to break down a vector into smaller, more manageable parts that can be analyzed separately.

2. What is meant by "resolving" a vector in 3 quadrants?

Resolving a vector in 3 quadrants refers to the process of breaking down a vector into its components in all three quadrants of a coordinate system. This is typically done by using trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude and direction of each component.

3. Why is it important to resolve a vector in 3 quadrants?

Resolving a vector in 3 quadrants allows us to accurately analyze the direction and magnitude of the vector in a more complex coordinate system. It also allows us to take into account any changes in direction the vector may have as it moves through different quadrants.

4. How do you determine the direction of each component when resolving a vector in 3 quadrants?

The direction of each component can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions take into account the angle between the vector and the x-axis, and can be used to find the direction of the component in relation to the x-axis.

5. Can you resolve a vector in more than 3 quadrants?

Yes, a vector can be resolved in any number of quadrants, depending on the complexity of the coordinate system and the direction of the vector. However, resolving a vector in more than 3 quadrants may require additional mathematical techniques and may not always be necessary for analysis.